• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Ha met somebody last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowman

I woulda rather met a cute girl, but it was kinda neat anyway.
:lol:

I'd programmed FRS frequencies into my scanner and never really had anything come of it. Last night some people were having a conversation over FRS 1. I dug out my wal-mart special FRS walkie and started up a conversation.

Whoda thunkit, conversing with strangers on FRS :D

Woodstock

I've talked to random people on FRS before. Kinda like CB in a way I guess. I have a couple of friends that went out direction finding for people with FRS radios once. Some people are friendly, but others seem to think they own the frequency and get angry when you talk to them.

OpSec

Code 21, Status 7
Database Admin
I installed a CB into one of my cars for the first time ever about two weeks ago and found it to be quite useful yet while traveling on the interstate.

Useful CB...who'da thunk it :)

Last edited:

Gregor

Before I had my got my ham license, I used to talk to quite a few people on FRS. I think they had a commercial rig setup however cause I could hear them all over the city. Either way, the huge range they had with FRS is why I got my ham.

Greg

GTO_04

Premium Subscriber
stateboy said:
I installed a CB into one of my cars for the first time ever about two weeks ago and found it to be quite useful yet while traveling on the interstate.

Useful CB...who'da thunk it :)
You missed out in the CB craze of the 70s. I was a CB hobbyist in the 70s, I even had a base station. I got away from it once I got into scanning in the late 70s. I still have a base station but rarely use it.

GTO_04

cellblock776

Gregor said:
I think they had a commercial rig setup however cause I could hear them all over the city. Either way, the huge range they had with FRS is why I got my ham.

Greg
If true then they were almost certainly operating illegally. 1/2 watt ERP out of a short, non removable antenna really doesn't give you much range under typical conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.