• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ham Friendly Kenwood LMR Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
HI all!

I am looking for ham friendly Kenwood LMR dealer in US. With ability to ship inside CA state or/and overseas.

Ham Friendly means good pricing and ability to work with not a volume orders (but above $100).

Please PM or e-mail me: wireless.friendly [at] gmail.com

I'm not sure if I should start my own thread, but I am also looking for a Kenwood LMR dealer for a private order. I am on the East Coast (NJ) but would be willing to purchase from anywhere within the states.

code3cowboy

I'm not sure if I should start my own thread, but I am also looking for a Kenwood LMR dealer for a private order. I am on the East Coast (NJ) but would be willing to purchase from anywhere within the states.

Several dealers sell online, also several dealers sell on ebay.

RRSINC

Feed Provider
FYI from Kenwood Website: (Buyer Beware)

Kenwood U.S.A. acknowledges the Internet has become a useful tool for companies to increase their sales through website marketing and electronic commerce. This includes many authorized Kenwood dealers, whose effective and proper use of a website contributes to their success in locally served markets.

However, the essential attributes for building and maintaining Kenwood's Land Mobile Radio business continues to be quality-driven sales, service and support which requires "face-to-face" selling. It is with this understanding, that Kenwood does Not authorize its Dealers to offer the Land Mobile Radio product line for sale via the Internet.

Because Kenwood cannot guarantee that product purchased from unauthorized dealers are genuine, new and/or fit for purchase, Kenwood does NOT offer any manufacturer's limited warranty or rebates for products purchased from a dealer that is not authorized by Kenwood. This would include any Land Mobile Radio product purchased online.

Please also note that Kenwood does NOT authorize the sale of any new, current model year product on any auction-related websites. Kenwood, therefore, does NOT offer any manufacturer's limited warranty or rebates for products purchased from any auction-related Website

mrweather

Please also note that Kenwood does NOT authorize the sale of any new, current model year product on any auction-related websites. Kenwood, therefore, does NOT offer any manufacturer's limited warranty or rebates for products purchased from any auction-related Website
Really? Are they serious? A new-in-box radio, never opened or programmed would not have a manufacturers warranty if not sold from an "authorized" dealer?

Someone needs to challange that.

JPSan

GRAY MARKET - INTERNATIONAL warranty vs. U.S. warranty

Really? Are they serious? A new-in-box radio, never opened or programmed would not have a manufacturers warranty if not sold from an "authorized" dealer?

Someone needs to challange that.
NOT LIKELY!!!

There is NO need to challenge it. It is called GRAY MARKET. It is to protect authorized dealers stateside. You buy off shore radios that were meant for EXPORT only sales, buy em real cheap, bring on shore sell em and then expect warranty coverage. Look at the eBay and all the Motorola export radios sold to stateside buyers and they get all pissed off that there is no support or warranty. Same holds true for camera equipment. It is totally fair. Usually the SERIAL numbers reflect where the item was sold (country, etc)
If you look very carefully you would see that there are a lot of consumer items that have that warning about were you buy it verses U.S. warranty coverage. Overseas items brought stateside, NOT warrantied. Its called an INTERNATIONAL warranty.

So IT is TOTALLY fair. There is NOTHING to DISPUTE!

code3cowboy

NOT LIKELY!!!

There is NO need to challenge it. It is called GRAY MARKET. It is to protect authorized dealers stateside. You buy off shore radios that were meant for EXPORT only sales, buy em real cheap, bring on shore sell em and then expect warranty coverage. Look at the eBay and all the Motorola export radios sold to stateside buyers and they get all pissed off that there is no support or warranty. Same holds true for camera equipment. It is totally fair. Usually the SERIAL numbers reflect where the item was sold (country, etc)
If you look very carefully you would see that there are a lot of consumer items that have that warning about were you buy it verses U.S. warranty coverage. Overseas items brought stateside, NOT warrantied. Its called an INTERNATIONAL warranty.

So IT is TOTALLY fair. There is NOTHING to DISPUTE!

That only applies if the serial number is a non-us number and you buy through someone other than a dealer. If a dealer is selling online it is a different story.

mrweather

So let me get this straight: You're saying even if the Kenwood dealer who is authorized to sell in my area happens to be a douchebag and I decide to buy a new, legitmate Kenwood radio from a legitmate Kenwood dealer who is not authorized to sell in my area, Kenwood itself won't honour any warranty issues? That blows.

I can appreciate dealer territories and such but seriously, if the dealer is not responsive to a customer why can't that customer go to another Kenwood dealer elsewhere?

code3cowboy

So let me get this straight: You're saying even if the Kenwood dealer who is authorized to sell in my area happens to be a douchebag and I decide to buy a new, legitmate Kenwood radio from a legitmate Kenwood dealer who is not authorized to sell in my area, Kenwood itself won't honour any warranty issues? That blows.

I can appreciate dealer territories and such but seriously, if the dealer is not responsive to a customer why can't that customer go to another Kenwood dealer elsewhere?

According to Kenwood, yes.

There is a podunk Kenwood dealer in my area, and a guy who is a kenwood dealer a few miles toward town. A hundred miles east, there is a large volume kenwood dealer. In town there is a small Kenwood dealer. They all are dealers, and three of the four are easy to deal with.

Hunt around if your dealer is a jerk. Dont fret it though, many of the actual Kenwood people are jerks, hence the high turnover rate of the good guys.

JPSan

It's ALL a CRAP SHOOT buying off eBay. Make sure YOU KNOW!!

That only applies if the serial number is a non-us number and you buy through someone other than a dealer. If a dealer is selling online it is a different story.
I think that is what I kind of sort of said.....

We took in a Kenwood 450 Mhz radio for repair..The guy bought it off eBay about 3 months previous...It lost the PA and was TX'ing low power (exciter)...Repair was done and good old Kenwood would not honor a warranty repair BECAUSE according to our person who processed that stuff the radio warranty showed NO PROOF of sale, via receipt, of being sold by a authorized Kenwood Dealer.( Go figure) Owner of the radio was all put out and Kenwood was adamant about it. At the time it wasn't my problem, not my radio and the radio sat on our shelf for a couple of months before it's owner came and paid the bill...Kenwood, Never honored the warranty...We RARELY ever dealt with Kenwood stuff. This is what I experienced first hand. I guess it is all a crap shoot...ESPECIALLY when you buy stuff off eBay. Caveat Emptor.
Yeah, IF the eBay seller is a real dealer then the RECEIPT and COMPANY NAME will show as a Kenwood AUTHORIZED RE SELLER, then it is a moot issue. As I said our shop was NOT a authorized Kenwood repair center. The local Kenwood shop I found out later would NOT do a warranty repair on this unit, either. Wonder WHY?? EACH vendor ( Kenwood,in this case) has it's own warranty policy and how they HONOR it and that is just the way it goes. Radio Shops need to get paid for our TIME and MATERIALS...If we didn't sell it, it is the customers responsibility to show proof of purchase and or warranty when we submit a claim AND if it is challenged ( especially if WE did NOT sell the unit). WE have had repaired radios sit as long as 4 months before being picked up by there owners and that is WARRANTY and CUSTOMER pay.
.......And that's all I gotta say about that....Over and OUT.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
When you are dealing with overseas models, you typically have to go directly to the manufacturer for warranty issues. I had an issue like this when I purchased a camera overseas, while on a military assignment, as a gift for a family member. The camera developed an issue, and was sent into the USA factory site. They were able to repair it, but did have to make a change to part of the body, since they did not have the exact part available. (I had shipped the camera back to the US, with a valid receipt, and declared it, etc...)

For something that is gray market, they *might* send it back to the company's home location, for repair there. So a Kenwood item might be sent back to Japan for repair, which will take some time, and then you have to pay for the shipping costs.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Getting back to the original topic, I guess it might be better to explain your intent.

If you are looking for a dealer that is willing to sell you a TK-whatever, that should not be an issue, as you are looking for a legit purchase. If you are wanting them to order a TH, TS or TM-whatever, then you might run into some issues. The LMR and Amateur divisions are separate, and they are probably not going to be able to order that for you. (Accessories are available via LMR dealers, as they are treated as parts.)

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Damned Kenwood sales...

My small history:

I tried to contact with ABeep LLC (by referral from RadioReference), but they isn't replied on two cases at his helpdesk system for a two weeks.

I have emailed to FTH Group (in CA) and replied that can't sell accessories and recommended to me contact PacParts, Inc (also in CA).

PacParts replied that I should to call Kenwood at 800-536-9663.

I have e-mailed to Bassett Sales and to Epic Marketing (both are Kenwood representatives in CA).

Epic Marketing was never replied.

Bassett replied with recommendation to contact with local dealers: PVP Communications or Industrial Radio (aka SJM Radio). I have e-mailed to PVP Communications and SJM Radio.

PVP was never replied.

But I get response from SJM Radio from Norma Kaminski. Asked for additional questions, but didn't get reply in 9 days.

Result: Dealing with Kenwood is plain headache. Motorola LMR dealers are in times friendly.

Have you tried AR Communications in Eatontown, NJ - They are a Kenwood Dealer and not far from you.

I will have to contact them. I ended up buying a used one off of eBay for $330. Only downside is that the firmware is 1.12, and if I understand correctly, the latest is 1.16. I bought the programming software and the cable (waiting for them to arrive), but it seems like a pain to get the firmware to do it myself. I'll see if they can do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.