Ham Radio Deluxe Support illegally disabled their software over a bad review

Status
Not open for further replies.

toastycookies

I opened a support ticket with HRDSOFTWARE, and was told that I needed to download and install the latest build of version 6.22, and then they would be able to provide support. I followed their directions, and once the download was installed the program started, displayed the splash screen and then completely shut down. I reported this in the ticket, and got an IMMEDIATE response:

"I'm sorry, but your support has expired and we are unable to provide any further support.

We would also like to request that you NOT RENEW your support nor use our software due to the review you placed on eHam back in September. Remember that? eHam.net Reviews - Ham Radio Deluxe

Good luck, and 73 HRD Tech Support"

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ham-radio-deluxe-support-hacked-my-computer.547962/

Bill Obama signed into law to prevent this:

It's now illegal in the US to punish customers for posting bad web reviews

Delivers1234

I opened a support ticket with HRDSOFTWARE, and was told that I needed to download and install the latest build of version 6.22, and then they would be able to provide support. I followed their directions, and once the download was installed the program started, displayed the splash screen and then completely shut down. I reported this in the ticket, and got an IMMEDIATE response:

"I'm sorry, but your support has expired and we are unable to provide any further support.

We would also like to request that you NOT RENEW your support nor use our software due to the review you placed on eHam back in September. Remember that? eHam.net Reviews - Ham Radio Deluxe

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ham-radio-deluxe-support-hacked-my-computer.547962/

Wow

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Frankly, this matter is between you and HRD. If you don't like the program, then don't use it. You posted your review on eHam.net so you've done your part to get the word out.

I purchased a paid version of HRD a few years ago and used it without issue for logging and spot collecting. I also made several sound card data mode contacts using DM780. Over time, I realized that HRD did not have adequate control for some of my radio's features and I realized that DM780 was deficient in how it interfaces with RTTY keying devices. So, I dropped HRD and switched to the DX Lab Suite which is free, publicly supported by the author, and does everything I want a logging and DX chasing program to do.

D

DaveNF2G

I haven't read the referenced statute (or whatever it is), but I'm pretty confident that it does not offer a remedy through posting a message to RadioReference.com. If you are in a situation that is covered, then follow the specified procedure for relief.

Hans13

I haven't read it either but I don't suspect that it would apply in this circumstance since it doesn't involve a clause in a contract. Someone who actually reads the specific law would know for sure.

"With the new law in effect, any contract that attempts to tie in a clause calling for a fine or penalty for a review would be rendered void and legally unenforceable."

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/5111

Delivers1234

I haven't read it either but I don't suspect that it would apply in this circumstance since it doesn't involve a clause in a contract. Someone who actually reads the specific law would know for sure.

"With the new law in effect, any contract that attempts to tie in a clause calling for a fine or penalty for a review would be rendered void and legally unenforceable."

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/5111

Isn't a sale a contract, written or not? Just saying.

Hans13

Isn't a sale a contract, written or not? Just saying.

Meh. I think it's iffy. They requested, did not demand.

"We would also like to request that you NOT RENEW your support nor use our software"

For all I know, it could be actionable but I wouldn't think it would be under the new statute cited since it doesn't involve a punitive clause. If they aren't going to support after he has paid his money to include support, that's a whole other kettle of fish but not related to that bill as the summary reads.

Regardless, it IS a really crummy thing for the company to do. It's enough to make me not want to buy anything from them.

Delivers1234

Meh. I think it's iffy. They requested, did not demand.

"We would also like to request that you NOT RENEW your support nor use our software"

For all I know, it could be actionable but I wouldn't think it would be under the new statute cited since it doesn't involve a punitive clause. If they aren't going to support after he has paid his money to include support, that's a whole other kettle of fish but not related to that bill as the summary reads.

Regardless, it IS a really crummy thing for the company to do. It's enough to make me not want to buy anything from them.

I agree.

Hans13

I would ask HRD for all the money I spent on the software and any support fees paid.

dmaria

I was on the Beta team for a while. The private forums had a lot of comments similar to this about customers who complained about bugs. This sounds like one of the owners (the one that does the programming). He is not very customer friendly. They changed their support policies and upgrade pricing several times over the years and I decided not to ever invest in their software again.

N0IU

I would ask HRD for all the money I spent on the software and any support fees paid.

Despite the fact that they have a strict "No Refund" policy, they eventually got tired of my complaints and did just that. I am probably one of three people that have received a full refund from HRD.

This sounds like one of the owners (the one that does the programming). He is not very customer friendly.

According to his bio, the other owner (the one who is in charge of the sales and marketing) says:
"Prior to joining Sears Hometown & Outlet Stores, Mike was the Chief Information Officer for RadioShack..."

Just making an observation about his previous employer, that's all.

N0IU

And toastycookies, love the avatar! I just sold my 17 year old John Deere garden tractor and bought a Husqvarna. For me, orange is the new green!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
So, this whole thing is hearsay? In other words, neither the aggrieved party nor HRD are participating in this conversation? If so, then why are we talking about it here?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
So, this whole thing is hearsay? In other words, neither the aggrieved party nor HRD are participating in this conversation? If so, then why are we talking about it here?

BINGO!! It sounds like a Facebook-style false story...what they used to call disinformation. From the very first post, it sounded a little far-fetched.

N0IU

So, this whole thing is hearsay?

Not to me! I have been on the receiving end of HRD's "world class" customer support. It is an extremely long story but the upshot is that despite their strict unwavering policy of "NO REFUNDS!", I got one!

It is absolutely forbidden to make negative comments about HRD on QRZ (I have been told that I will be permanently banned if I do so), but it is obvious that HRD is far from pristine and my experience is not an isolated case and I, for one, think people need to know abut it.

And as W9BU says, AA6YQ's DXLab Suite is 100% free and his support, should you need it, is superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.