HAM radio stores in NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamhere300

I am up in NY today, going to be wandering my tower sites from Syracuse to Buffalo, (And south the the state line) and I have decided to pick up a new radio. Is there a HAM radio store in that general area?

Thanks

D

DaveNF2G

I don't think you'll find a ham radio store anywhere in New York State, with the possible exception of Manhattan.

Al42

Where, in Manhattan, were you thinking of? Other than the midtown "electronics" stores that sell "hi-powered" cordless phones at a "discount"?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
The only store I remember that carries amateur equipment in New York would be Barry's, and I'm not sure that store is even around anymore.

iamhere300

HAM store

As I looked around, it suddenly hit me. Why am I looking for a HAM store in NY,
when I have to go back through Ohio to my home, and this is the weekend of the
Dayton Hamfest?

DUH!!!!!

AlexC

Database Admin
There are stores in Times Square - those ones that sell all the cameras and laptops that you can get for $2000 less at BestBuy that actually do sell some random radio stuff.

I've found SP10/20 radios brand new in box (motorola), Yaesu, Kenwood, and other amateur equipment that is collecting dust and turning yellow.

It is actually extreamly amusing to see it, and then ask the guys how much it is. I saw a VX1R priced at $600 at one place. Just amazing.

You can find anything in new york city, it just depends on where you look, what piles of dust you check under, and who you know.

Good Hunting.

Oh, and if your looking for any new in box ISA cards - that's a good place to start too.

-Alex

Al42

AEMTKieran said:
The only store I remember that carries amateur equipment in New York would be Barry's, and I'm not sure that store is even around anymore.
I'm not sure that Barry is even around any more, let alone the store.

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
I live in Westchester, work in Manhattan.
I have been to this guy here for Ham stuff.

http://www.advancedspecialties.net/

He's pretty honest has a fair selection. I don't know about getting stuff fixed.
He's a few minutes over the GWB.

Ham Central used to operate out of Poughkeepsie, but they closed their door for good a few years back.

Phil
KC2GDF

Status
Not open for further replies.