ham to non-ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Good question but doesn't the person initiating the use of a phone patch act as the control operator?

...Also, for the OP's application, the initiation of a communication would only be "uni directional". He wasn't completely clear on whether this would be okay or not. Anyway, the idea may be something to consider.
Well yes, that was my point. The real answer is not an unqualified "no it's not possible" but rather more nuanced because there are - in fact - at least a few heavily constricted times when it is possible and legal for a ham and non-ham to communicate via a radio -> non-ham radio link.

bharvey2

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to turn this into a nitpicking "legalista" thread. I did try to qualify the statement with the "For the most part" at the beginning of the sentence. A number of other exceptions were already mentioned and I agree that each is valid. Initially, I got the impression (perhaps wrongly so) that the OP was looking for a way for a HAM operator to routinely and readily communicate with a non-licensed individual via typical HAM radio modes. He then expanded his question to include GMRS. Perhaps he's open to other options such as Zello as he suggests that interstate communication might be desired.

Delivers1234, can you expand on what you're trying to accomplish?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
not sure if this goes here.

is there a way for a tech ham to speak to someone on ham radio to another person who does not have a ham radio? the other person will not use a ham radio either.

delivers1234

Without knowing what equipment you have and what you want to accomplish, it really isn't possible to provide a good answer.

I'm *guessing* you want to talk into a radio on ham frequencies and have someone without a radio listen to you.

It is possible.

If you have a local DMR repeater that's connected to the Brandmeister network, you can use a DMR radio set to group 9999 to have non-hams without radios listen to you over the net. (The 9999 group is for test purposes).

When you speak into your DMR radio, your audio will come out at this internet site: NorCal Audio Meter – NorCal BrandMeister Network

You can also access this site through TuneIn Radio'. NorCal DMR - Listen Online

There is a TuneIn app for Android and iOS so you can monitor on a mobile device.

Status
Not open for further replies.