Hamilton Co/IDPS S3

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Not sure if they have done new tweaking or its just weather... But I now get a good copy of the system from home. Been a lot better for 2 weeks now.

Dispatch2323

Premium Subscriber
I read this on the Hamilton County website under meeting minutes...not sure what it means but it doesn't sound good:

AES and Multi-key Encryption in Radios
Mr. Mike Snowden requested approval to use contingency funds from the Motorola radio system
implementation for AES and Multi-key encryption in the radios. This allows law enforcement to speak
in an encrypted manner to other law enforcement agencies. Phase I purchased 360 radios, this is for
Phase II for an additional 493 handheld radios at a full cost of $419,000. Through efficiencies they have
located approximately $413,000 in the 2016 budget that could be used for this. Snowden requested
permission to discuss with Motorola a better price than the full price of $850 per radio and to use the
contingency funds to acquire the radios at a cost not to exceed $425,000. Altman said this was approved
by the 911 Executive Board and moved to approve. Heirbrandt seconded. Motion carried unanimously.

INDY72

All it means is that there will be encryption on certian TGs on LEA radios. Drug Enforcement, Special Ops, certian Tacs etc.... They are not talking blanket encryption except maybe in LaPorte County, and City of Marion. Mass encryption is not happening on SAFE-T, or IDPS. At least not yet. And if you look at the LE TGs in Hamilton County, they are already using encryption on most of the Tac, and Ops TGs. They are not and are not going to encrypt Dispatch at this point.

Viper43

Not sure if they have done new tweaking or its just weather... But I now get a good copy of the system from home. Been a lot better for 2 weeks now.

No change here. Still dead to System 3. But I can hear the useless system 2 :-(

INDY72

No change here. Still dead to System 3. But I can hear the useless system 2 :-(

LOL S2 is only useless if you never have power outages, dont ever use IndyGo, and dont want to know where they are running the Snow Removal Ops etc..... And you can catch some interesting Public Safety ops on S2.....

W9NES

Cannot hear Hamilton County from 79Th and Michigan Road, Cannot even get a control channel to lock up. If I am north of 96Th street (9600 North) on Michigan Road with a Uniden 396T it is fine because I am not to far away from the Hamilton County site at 106Th and Michigan Road, Also IDPS(AKA MECA) sys 2 cannot get a control channel 852.1125 to lock up in my area. When I am near 71st and Zionsviile Road the 852.1125 control channel locks up just fine. I do monitor Sys 2 and I do like to know when my power is going to come back on from IPL.

INDY72

You have to have the only real dead zone on the net lol. Wierd considering where I am located, the awesome signal I get.. Heck even S2 comes in pretty darned good. Whats wierd is that at the Central Library you can get HamCo very very good.... Sometimes I think maybe its the new Library Building that acts as an antenna?

N9IIT

Probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyway - any movement afoot at IDPS to upgrade S1->S4 to P25 Phase II?

Last edited:

INDY72

Currently no, but there is an very good chance of it getting put in the mix after 2020.... If it does work out like it looks like it will... Be ready for slow implementation over 3 to 4 years for the whole shebang,... Fastest to transition will be S1, and S2 with the massive number of users. But being that Carmel PD, Fishers PD, and HCSO all have direct access to S1 and do talk with IMPD on MET-NO, MET-NW, and MET-ED TGs... The system would have to be dual mode, or HamCo will have to go to TDMA at the same time. All this is of course after everyone gets new radios capable of it.... And that will take 2 to 3 years at the speed of this bureaucracy!

GTO_04

Cannot hear Hamilton County from 79Th and Michigan Road, Cannot even get a control channel to lock up. If I am north of 96Th street (9600 North) on Michigan Road with a Uniden 396T it is fine because I am not to far away from the Hamilton County site at 106Th and Michigan Road, Also IDPS(AKA MECA) sys 2 cannot get a control channel 852.1125 to lock up in my area. When I am near 71st and Zionsviile Road the 852.1125 control channel locks up just fine. I do monitor Sys 2 and I do like to know when my power is going to come back on from IPL.

Tim you need a Unication G5! It blows away the Uniden, GRE, and Whistler on P25 simulcast systems. Having said that, my 396XT works quite a bit better than my 396T did. But my 396XT works better on IDPS System 1 than it does on System 3.

I have not noticed any difference recently with System 3. Once all the foliage grows back for spring, I imagine reception will degrade.

GTO_04

N9IIT

IDPS S3 in Site Trunking

Looks like IDPS System 3 had a controller failure, announcement just went out over HamCo Fire VHF for all units to go on "RadioWatch" due to system in site trunking with limited capabilities

greggill

It's a dead zone in the area around 96th St and the Monon Trail. Systems 1 and 3 are hard to bring in. If I hold the scanner just right in certain areas of my house I can bring in one of the systems, but hardly ever both at the same time. And the new Safe-T system is nonexistent. Which sucks because I would like to listen to the State Police since I am so close to 465. A G5 would be nice, but they are pricey and are limited in that you can't scan more than one system at a time.

kr19

It's a dead zone in the area around 96th St and the Monon Trail. Systems 1 and 3 are hard to bring in. If I hold the scanner just right in certain areas of my house I can bring in one of the systems, but hardly ever both at the same time. And the new Safe-T system is nonexistent. Which sucks because I would like to listen to the State Police since I am so close to 465. A G5 would be nice, but they are pricey and are limited in that you can't scan more than one system at a time.

I'm noticing a dead zone as well. When I try using my BCD436HP near the park-n-ride near 96th and the Monon, I hardly get anything on Systems 1 or 3. I can get the analog Countywide Tone Out for Hamilton County on occasion, but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N9IIT

Hey Milf - has IDPS gone to E on the HamCo fire ops TGs and EMS TGs? I hear the fire dispatches but nothing on the Fire Control or Ops.

BTW, the BCD436HP works nicely with simulcast when within a few miles of a tower. Workplace is about 4 miles from Pressley Rd tower, and home is about 6 miles from Hortonville. When I was driving along 96th today I could definitely notice the garble.

INDY72

I will check my current cut sheet once home

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

kr19

Hey Milf - has IDPS gone to E on the HamCo fire ops TGs and EMS TGs? I hear the fire dispatches but nothing on the Fire Control or Ops.

BTW, the BCD436HP works nicely with simulcast when within a few miles of a tower. Workplace is about 4 miles from Pressley Rd tower, and home is about 6 miles from Hortonville. When I was driving along 96th today I could definitely notice the garble.

Do they (Hamilton County) only dispatch on VHF, or have I just never been close enough to hear a digital dispatch? I'm pretty sure they have a dispatch TG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INDY72

Yes they use location dispatch on the idps S3

N9IIT

Yes they use locution dispatch on the idps S3

But it's not the "robotic" voice like Johnson County uses. Someone actually reads out the dispatches here. Couple days ago one of the HamCo dispatchers got rather tongue-tied when reading off a residential neighborhood street name in Carmel.

The Johnson County dispatch sounds somewhere in between the voice on National Weather Service radio, and the clandestine "numbers" frequencies you'd hear from time to time on shortwave radio.

INDY72

They are the only one who doesn't use locution yet. On idps. They still use human aural and both VHF and trs to dispatch. Madco and all others use cad and locution on trs only.

kr19

I wish they were as easy to listen to as Boone County. Hamilton County is silent at my house, except for the occasional pager tones. I can almost always hear Boone County loud and clear over both their VHF and digital systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.