• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

HAMS In Contact/w Lebanon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutPost

An urgent message for those that have contact with Ham Operators in Lebanon.....

At 1623 HRS GMT (Monday July 17th, 2006 11:23am CDT) the U.S. State Department has indicated that any U.S. Citizens wanting to evacuate to Cyprus must get ready now.

CH47 helicopters are beginning the emergency airlift from Beirut to Cyprus where charter and other commercial airlines are waiting.

Citizens in Lebanon are relying on website information and Ham operators/SW listeners monitoring and/or in contact with the outside world. Television news information is said to be either nil or intermittent.

High powered stations here in the U.S. should broadcast in the blind towards the Middle East. There is no indication so far that this is being done from what we're monitoring on HF.

Thanks for your service ARRL and others

grem467

OutPost said:
High powered stations here in the U.S. should broadcast in the blind towards the Middle East.

that is not legal under current part 97 rules regarding broadcasting.

i would think the ARRL and others would have known that.

N

N_Jay

Maybe this
"Urgent Message" should have a verifiable source??:roll: :confused: :evil:

OutPost

Part 97??

You've got to be joking...right??

We have fellow Americans in Lebanon, 25,000 or so....and they are having trouble getting information, and we have Licensed Ham Radio Operators in the United States that pride themselves on being a back-up for civil defense and are the front line for NWS, and are capable of talking half-way around the world everyday on their Yeasu's about everything and anything....there's a war going-on, and the State Department (reliable source) wants to get the word to many Americans in Lebanon to "get ready now" because 3 CH-53 Marine Helicopters are coming soon to Beirut to evacuate as many Americans that want to leave!

And you are worried??? About what?? The FCC??

AC0RV

Premium Subscriber
Under current rules and regs. if the US does not have Third party agreement with a nation. We can not chat or pass any traffic with the Amateur Radio Operators in that county.

So if we do not have an agreement wth Lebanon. Can not talk with them.

At least thats my understanding of the rules.

grem467

So breaking the law is ok as long as it benefits someone? or is what you are saying is "laws be damned in an emergency" ?

even if we WERE allowed to talk to them, we cant "send in the blind" to anyone, under current part 97 rules relating to broadcasting.

hmm wait, maybe we can get K1MAN to broadcast it to them, but that would make people mad too..

<< BANGS HEAD ON DESK >>

Last edited:

USAPatriot

KC0STG said:
Under current rules and regs. if the US does not have Third party agreement with a nation. We can not chat or pass any traffic with the Amateur Radio Operators in that county.

So if we do not have an agreement wth Lebanon. Can not talk with them.

At least thats my understanding of the rules.
I understand. Can one pass along rather lengthy bits of info to amateurs in Israel though? If it happens to land in Lebanon by happenstance, well... -Rod-

grem467

USAPatriot said:
I understand. Can one pass along rather lengthy bits of info to amateurs in Israel though? If it happens to land in Lebanon by happenstance, well... -Rod-
correct, thats how you can pass the traffic, simply talk to someone ABOUT it, and hope someone other than the ham you are talking to is listening

AC0RV

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it. In case of Emergency requiring the use of Amateur Radio. Someone in the United Nations or Somewhere will get with that county and create a special Temporary Authority to communicate with that country or at least I have been told that.

Some one help me or set me straight on Third party traffic rules please.

USAPatriot

Matter of fact, two well meaning hams of long acquaintance could simply sit and gab for as long as conditions hold...

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
"Third party" traffic are messages on behalf of someone other than the hams who are in communication with each other. If the US does not have a formal agreement with a country to allow hams to pass messages for other people, then it is illegal for US hams to relay such messages to that country. (The actual regulatory position is that it is illegal for American hams to relay third party traffic internationally unless there is an agreement permitting it.)

American hams may communicate directly with other hams in any other country, provided the country does not appear on a very short list maintained by the State Department of banned countries.

American hams may not "broadcast" or send one-way transmissions to a general audience. They must be engaged in at least two-way contact with another station, or net contact with any number of other specific stations. (Morse code practice transmissions and bulletins for ham operators can be "broadcast" but only with FCC approval. That's how W5YI and W1AW are able to do their things.)

Any suspension of the rules comes directly to radio amateurs as a direct, specific statement by the FCC, not as a general "help your fellow man" appeal from some "reliable source."

In an emergency, a ham operator may choose to disregard any rule that impairs the ability to protect life or property from imminent danger, but must also be prepared to defend that action later or pay a fine. The amateur is also required by regulations to notify the FCC as soon as possible after such "emergency" communication has taken place.

Last edited:

OutPost

Incredible.....

Well....that's quite odd since American lives are at stake with this escalating situation which Newt Gingridge speculates will turn into WWIII.

Last report on CNN states that only 5,000 of the 25,000 U.S. Citizens in Lebanon have contacted the U.S. State Department...and the word is, that many thousands more are not getting any information about the evacuation plans by the U.S.

Tomorrow...July 18th, 2008 GMT, the U.S. has on the way a Greek Cruise Liner, "Orient Queen" that holds 750 passengers, but they will board 1500 U.S. Citizens that wish to evacuate.

If I was in Lebanon with my trusty old DX-160 shortwave receiver and I heard a patriot calling someone on 14.444 or whatever making the statement about the rescue to some unknown station that nobody can hear (oh well), I would buy you a beer!!

Times are tough....really tough and not getting any better.

jparks29

lol, I have a picture in my head of all those post-apocalyptic movies... and after roaming the desert wastelands, finds... what else, but an amateur radio operator, still up an running,lol....

N

N_Jay

OutPost said:
. . . . , and the State Department (reliable source) wants to get the word to many Americans in Lebanon to "get ready now" because 3 CH-53 Marine Helicopters are coming soon to Beirut to evacuate as many Americans that want to leave!

And you are worried??? About what?? The FCC??
No, I am worried about passing on incorrect information.

Do you work for the State Department?
Where is YOUR SOURCE that they want this done?

Don't you think they would simply contact the Military and use the MARS network?

N

N_Jay

OutPost said:
. . .Last report on CNN states that only 5,000 of the 25,000 U.S. Citizens in Lebanon have contacted the U.S. State Department... .. . .

Tomorrow...July 18th, 2008 GMT, the U.S. has on the way a Greek Cruise Liner, "Orient Queen" that holds 750 passengers, but they will board 1500 U.S. Citizens that wish to evacuate. . . .
Yes, but if they have room for 1500 people and have a list of 5000 people, are you realy sure your "passing on" the message is really helping?

Utah_Viper

I dont know alot about the international laws in this case. I have been a ham for 12 years (only a tech) In my personal opinion if had the ability to even try talking to any trapped Americans in that region I would do so.

blueline_308

And to respond to an earlier post, Yes, laws do get thrown out the window during times of emergency...we do it all the time.

I_10_92

I'm not a ham, nor an American, BUT what about if your intended audience was the US embasy? Is that not deemed US soil. So technically you would'nt be transmitting to the middle east, but to the US soil in the middle east. Or am I just way off?

n4voxgill

Silent Key
If the state department wants this information broadcast they have the ability to get it done. The don't need you or your little group to tell others to do it.

flyingwolf

OutPost said:
Well....that's quite odd since American lives are at stake with this escalating situation which Newt Gingridge speculates will turn into WWIII.

Tomorrow...July 18th, 2008 GMT, the U.S. has on the way a Greek Cruise Liner, "Orient Queen" that holds 750 passengers, but they will board 1500 U.S. Citizens that wish to evacuate.

Times are tough....really tough and not getting any better.
Hmm well old Newt says it, it must be true.

And now your just getting ridiculous. You know as wel as I do that maritime laws do not allow the boarding of more passengers then the ship is capable of handleing (think Titanic).

Now come on man, do you have a source for this or not, or are you just trying to pass along an email spam and play it off as real.

I feel for the people there I really do.

But frankly, if they ain't smart enough to smell the **** flying, then they are gonna get hit with it.

Now come on man, you know that passing along the chain mail isnt gonna bring you good luck, its just gonna bring you more spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.