Hand held scanner for Shawnee Co. input needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
I have decided to pull the trigger on getting a hand held scanner. A lot has changed since I purchased the Pro -92 which now has been relegated to analog service.
What I am after is in put from anyone who is monitoring the Shawnee Co. P-25 phase I system with a hand held. I have 3 scanners that I am considering ...the Uniden BCD436HP and Whistler TRX-1 and WS-1080. I have read all of the threads on here ad nauseam so I am not needing a Uniden vs. Whistler debate.
Other considerations.... I have an external antenna on my truck that is dedicated for hand held scanner use....used with the Pro-92 on Shawnee Counties previous system and I also like the ability to plug into the trucks stereo system for improved audio as well as run the scanner off of the trucks DC power port to conserve battery use.
I have a BCD996T that I do not want to mount into the truck and become a future crime statistic( besides it has a very comfy spot in the man cave where its reception is awesome)....I want the ability to take a scanner with me and not have to worry about theft.

Last edited:

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
Uniden trunktracker 4 aka BCD 396XT works great in veh, and can carry where you go

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanner needed

I have both the 1080 and the 396XT. These are older designs and you might not find them satisfactory if you are monitoring a simulcast system, although mine works well on our local one. I like the 396 size, but the 1080 (mine is the pro 106 version) is more user friendly, and the separate programmable LED makes it easy to identify a system with a quick glance. The 1080 has a BNC connector rather than the SMA of the 396.

Last edited:

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
I have both the 1080 and the 396XT. These are older designs and you might not find them satisfactory if you are monitoring a simulcast system, although mine works well on our local one. I like the 396 size, but the 1080 (mine is the pro 106 version) is more user friendly, and the separate programmable LED makes it easy to identify a system with a quick glance. The 1080 has a BNC connector rather than the SMA of the 396.
Thanks...I failed to mention the Shawnee County 6 site Motorola P-25 system multipath simulcast...I'll need something that can hopefully chew through that. I have narrowed my search down to the 3 scanners that I listed for various other reasons as well...examples: newer technology...... my wife and myself like to take off when time allows to the Missouri Ozarks, the Kansas City area, Colorado....Phase II capabilities should the need arise.

nec911

Thanks...I failed to mention the Shawnee County 6 site Motorola P-25 system multipath simulcast...I'll need something that can hopefully chew through that. I have narrowed my search down to the 3 scanners that I listed for various other reasons as well...examples: newer technology...... my wife and myself like to take off when time allows to the Missouri Ozarks, the Kansas City area, Colorado....Phase II capabilities should the need arise.

I have been using a BCD396T off and on Brian. The only problem is when I get between two or more towers on this local system. The one in my office does good because it is right underneath the BOA tower but when I get out of downtown corridors I lose alot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.