Hand Held Scanner Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I have not purchased a hand held scanner in over 15 years and I usually buy the best so it is good for many years to come. I have been really happy with Uniden until the 436 came out. Anyone have any recommendations for scanners to purchase? I like the older uniden scanners but the 436 is to restrictive and doesn't allow me to tailor it too much.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by too restrictive?

A significant amount of tailoring can be done with a 436. Favorites Lists are your best option for picking and choosing exactly what systems and channels you wish to monitor.

Of all the scanners I've had over the years, I think the x36 series offers the most flexibility of all.

marksmith

The 436 can do anything any of the earlier Uniden handhelds can do and a lot more. Very confusing post.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

kmi8dy

not confusing at all, i think what the original poster was trying to say, and if i'mm wrong please correct me, it's a very hard scanner to program. i bought a bcd536 a little over a year ago and i found it very hard to program. in fact it became a very unenjoyable hobby very fast, finely gave up after 2 1/2 weeks or so later and sent it back to amazon. i've been doing this for over 50 years now and have progressed thru the various forms of programing, with various manufacturers, but the 436/536 stopped me in my tracks. iv'e always said that you have to be a phd to learn to use it, and program it, laughingly of course. when i went to high school there were no computers for the home market so it was not taught. so the people that graduated from high school in the late 80's or so have a better grasp on computers and the like. also some people have a longer learning curve. if i had someone to set down with me and show me how to program them i could pick it up a whole lot faster. kind of like this whole forum is meant to be. to put it another way, the next time you see a employment add in the newspaper and somebody is looking for a astro fhysicist (sp). i want YOU to go down and put in you appllcation, are you going to get the job ? probley not. this is not to demean anybody, just to open up some peoples minds a bit. whats easy for some people might not be so easy for others.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I don't understand how people have problems programming a scanner that is already programmed. Punch in your zip code and go, can't get any easier than that. Sure there are a few settings but these scanners are far more easier to operate than their predecessors.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty long in the tooth myself with scanning. Yes there is a learning curve with newer scanners, but there has been one with every version since they got away from crystal scanners.

I think it takes more patience than brains to program newer scanners. Fortunately there are good YouTube videos to "show how". Most importantly bad programming ruins only your day and not your scanner.

marksmith

I think what some people are in a way saying is they don't know how to use a computer, or the software. The radio is the easiest to program I have ever owned, and I think I have owned just about every one since crystals.

Mark

marksmith

If you wanted to go through the grief of doing it, you can program a 436 from scratch exactly like a 396xt, the previous handheld.

The fact that the whole database is there, with all the trunking setup and bandplans, etc already there, makes it a point and shoot instead of a manually set up radio. But you can still do it the old clunky difficult way.

Mark

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I think what some people are in a way saying is they don't know how to use a computer, or the software. The radio is the easiest to program I have ever owned, and I think I have owned just about every one since crystals.

Mark
Yeah, and the Commercial P-25 radios can't be programmed AT ALL by hand. Same with the Moto XPR and many, many others. It sounds like the OP probably hasn't used a P-25 scanner at all, and isn't familiar with the P-25 protocol. When I first started in this hobby a few years ago, it took some time and effort to learn about the various trunking protocols before I could properly program and utilize my scanner.

Last edited:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
WB6SUB de AA6IO
I just saw your OP (original post) just now and am really surprised. The BCD436HP and 536HP are the most flexible, do-what-you-want, scanners I have ever owned, and I have had (ans still have) many over 40 years. Perhaps you are just using the zip code feature, which although good when in a new location to check out activity, can be pretty restrictive in terms of tailoring what you want to listen to.
But once you get into using the Sentinel software and all the programming features such as favorite lists, the possibilities and combinations of programming are endless. Yes, the 436HP can be set up in about 2 minutes using the zip code feature, figuring out the real programming features takes some time.
You can PM (private mail) me if you have further questions. I live in Cerritos right on the LA/Orange County border.
Regards

CanesFan95

What about the dim backlight problem on those Uniden scanners? Has that been fixed in newer models?

marksmith

It has been fixed in older models that were sent in for fix. Mine is better than it was new. I presume the more recent 536 and 436 now have the same updated LED lights and other fixes. You can probably still buy one in somebody's old inventory with problems.

Mark

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
That is what I meant...My favorite mobile scanner is the 996XT Phase 2 scanner the 536 I have just takes so much time with a computer to edit list after list. I don't have time to spend my entire weekend for the far future just to edit what is in the scanner. I just want to program dump it in and play.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand how people have problems programming a scanner that is already programmed. Punch in your zip code and go, can't get any easier than that. Sure there are a few settings but these scanners are far more easier to operate than their predecessors.

I could not care less about most of what is programmed, only a few. I tailor my scanner since Los Angeles County is so "Radio Active" When I drive along I have set up my list to the numbers on the keypad so when I change from one area to the next all I do is push say 2 on and 1 off and there isn't any fumbling around while I drive, If I just put in my zip code there are thousands of frequencies that I couldn't care less about that it will scan.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, and the Commercial P-25 radios can't be programmed AT ALL by hand. Same with the Moto XPR and many, many others. It sounds like the OP probably hasn't used a P-25 scanner at all, and isn't familiar with the P-25 protocol. When I first started in this hobby a few years ago, it took some time and effort to learn about the various trunking protocols before I could properly program and utilize my scanner.

Actually I am very computer friendly. I am an electronics engineer, industrial, marine, avionics, and communications electrician. I have XPR5550 UHF for DMR, and I also have 4 XTS 5000 VHF, UHF low and high, 700/800 MHz, also 2 XTL 5000 VHF and UHF high, HF and many other radios I just want a tailored scanner like the 996XT Phase 2 but hand held.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When I drive along I have set up my list to the numbers on the keypad so when I change from one area to the next all I do is push say 2 on and 1 off and there isn't any fumbling around while I drive, If I just put in my zip code there are thousands of frequencies that I couldn't care less about that it will scan.

The 436HP will do that automatically if you create a Favorites List with Location Control enabled, and connect the GPS puck to it while driving.

N8IAA

Actually I am very computer friendly. I am an electronics engineer, industrial, marine, avionics, and communications electrician. I have XPR5550 UHF for DMR, and I also have 4 XTS 5000 VHF, UHF low and high, 700/800 MHz, also 2 XTL 5000 VHF and UHF high, HF and many other radios I just want a tailored scanner like the 996XT Phase 2 but hand held.

I would have liked that myself. But, Uniden decided that the 325P2 would replace the 396XT. They lost me with that one. Had great hopes but they were dashed
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.