• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

handheld cbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsyBitsy

I'm looking for a medium quality & price handheld CB...well, really I'd like a good quality one but I'm on a budget......
I'm probably very obviously new to all of this....I'm working my way up to amateur radio and I figure a CB is a good way to start. I have a base station that is suitable but I want a slightly better quality handheld....
any suggestions would be very welcome

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I think Cobra and Midland are the only ones that sell handheld CB radios.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Uh oh, you're off to the wrong start even before you start. I cut my teeth on CB BUT back then CB was a whole different world, it's changed so much and for the worse... when it comes to how I could write a book but I'll spare you the pain. As far as the hand held is concerned I've used a couple and you'll be badly disappointed with barely a mile to a base station range, far less to a mobile and less than nothing to another hand held.

While not nearly as bad the same problem exists with a VHF/UHF HT thanks to an antenna barely a step above a dummy load. That's fine for talking around a hamfest, sporting event or whatever because that's exactly what they're made for. Sure, they'll go farther on a mobile or base antenna but still that's about the worst "first rig" you can get. Most hams start with mobile VHF/UHF FM transceivers you can use mobile AND base with a DC power supply but we don't stop there with a whole radio spectrum and a fistful of modes to play with.

One disaster at a time my old boss used to say, find a local ham club, drop by and introduce yourself. You'll get far better results from an "eyeball QSO" than anything here and once the bug (maybe a Vibroplex) bites you have a whole slew of "elmers" to help you along.

Oh, take note of those strange things in quotes and take them to a club meeting just for fun and the rest of you PUT A SOCK IN IT! (;->)

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Handheld CB

I agree with KB2VXA's opinion. A Technician license is easy to get since no code came into being, and there are now dualband handhelds (I know they are from China, but what isn't) that start around $60.00. CB was fun back in the 50's, but it is AM and prone to interference, and the band gives little coverage, even if you use an illegal amp. With repeaters, links, and the internet, amateur radio has so much more to offer. I take part in a net on Sunday nights on 2 meters, and we have check ins from Hawaii and several other states. Net control is usually in CT.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I'll tell you what (and Rt 169 this is open to you too as you're semi local and can even come get it) I have 4 that's right 4 hand held CB's sitting in their boxes in the hutch in my kitchen. Got them 4 years ago for a project that never happened. You pay for shipping and I'll send it to you simple as that. Over and done with. 169 same goes to you or if you want I'm in West Haven. You let me know. I have a GE, Midland, Cobra and I forgot what the other one was most likely a GE also if I remember correct. They have all the parts too. That's it

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
I'll tell you what (and Rt 169 this is open to you too as you're semi local and can even come get it) I have 4 that's right 4 hand held CB's sitting in their boxes in the hutch in my kitchen. Got them 4 years ago for a project that never happened. You pay for shipping and I'll send it to you simple as that. Over and done with. 169 same goes to you or if you want I'm in West Haven. You let me know. I have a GE, Midland, Cobra and I forgot what the other one was most likely a GE also if I remember correct. They have all the parts too. That's it

Now thats an offer, if i wasnt addicted to HT's I wouldnt hesitate to take that offer just to have it

John599nj

Premium Subscriber
Save your money buy yourself a dual band 2meter/440 handy talkie.
The Wouxon radios are about 100.00 and take your time learning how to program and listen to repeaters and how people operate. Then after you get your tech license you can operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.