Votes: 20 51.3%
  • 10+ seconds

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

0 hang time, cause if a repeater has a long tail, the resume time can get annoying. Same for a ham repeater, cause it makes it easier to X-band into it!

CanesFan95

2 seconds has never seemed like enough. Whether it's conventional or trunking, I always want like 7+ seconds (I chose 10+ in the poll). I never liked how the older scanners from years ago only had a 2 second delay. The newer scanners that we have now are much better!

n1das

I voted for 2 seconds. That seems to be the Motorola default out of the box on many conventional repeaters. On Moto trunked systems (mixed analog/P25, 3600 baud control), the hang time on each repeater in the system appears to be around 2 seconds, maybe slightly less.

A one second repeater tail is just barely long enough to let you know that your transmission successfully keyed the repeater. A 2 second tail does it nicely where hearing the tail when you un-key is long enough to let you know you hit the repeater but you don't have to wait forever for the tail to drop. Any repeater tail longer than about 3 seconds starts to sound longer than needed.

2 seconds seems to be about right for repeaters in conventional systems. For trunked systems, the tail on individual repeaters should be whatever the particular trunking format requires. A tail of a half a second or less is good for RF links between repeater sites.

Just my $0.02 FWIW.

n1das

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

0 hang time, cause if a repeater has a long tail, the resume time can get annoying. Same for a ham repeater, cause it makes it easier to X-band into it!

A trick that can be done is remove the PL tone from the tail, if the repeater is transmitting a tone on the output. Only have the PL tone on the output while the repeater is repeating traffic heard on the input. Your cross-band setup would be programmed to decode the tone on the output. The repeater tail can then be the length desired but it won't interfere with cross-band repeating to/from the repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.