Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBall517

I have a question, although i am pretty computer savvy I have no idea what the program is or what it is called about those harddrives that auto-erase all data in my documents, internet history, ETC when you shut off the computer or log off? Like at a library, you know? Thanks!

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
It sounds as though you are referring to programs such as Deep Freeze. Faronics Deep Freeze 7 - 7.0 Times the System Integrity

These are programs that are typically installed by corporations, library's etc..to ensure that once the user logs off the computer it is restored to it's original state and all data (including malware and private data) that was placed on the system would be lost.

n5ims

Businesses are also starting to use Virtual Desktops (Desktop virtualization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) to allow a standard desktop for all users and allow them to have a clean, safe environment for all. What many do is have a standard desktop image kept on a server that loads onto the client computer when they start up. This initial image is static and controlled by the company's IT department and can't be updated by the users. Any changes that they make are lost when they log off. Generally their documents, etc. are kept on a network file server and the desktop image is designed to point to this location so the users don't know any difference.

There's also a solution from Citrix (Citrix Systems - Virtualization, Networking and Cloud. Virtual Computing, Simplified.) that hosts the desktop on a server and the user accesses it through a browser or client application. Citrix will also limit what the client can access and not allow them to make changes except to their document folder as well. This solution can work either locally or remotely since the entire desktop isn't sent down to your local computer. There is some isolation though since generally you can't use your Citrix desktop to access anything locally on your PC and things running on your PC can't access the Citrix session.

Status
Not open for further replies.