HARNETT COUNTY: Rebanding about to begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insiders tell me that rebanding for Harnett County is scheduled to begin on June 6, 2008. I've requested frequencies/talkgroup id's, but have not received them yet. As soon as I have info, I'll post here and submit to RR for database posting.

It's really a win-win for the county. All radios that cannot be reprogrammed for the rebanding will be replaced with a new unit by NEXTEL.

I've spent the past three hours cross-referencing frequency lists on the FCC website and now my eyes are crossed.

Does anyone know of a location that will list the new frequencies for such a migration, or am I going to have to rely on someone on the inside getting them for me?

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
StitchMagician said:
It's really a win-win for the county. All radios that cannot be reprogrammed for the rebanding will be replaced with a new unit by NEXTEL.

I've spent the past three hours cross-referencing frequency lists on the FCC website and now my eyes are crossed.

Does anyone know of a location that will list the new frequencies for such a migration, or am I going to have to rely on someone on the inside getting them for me?
Here is the Transition Administrator Site:

http://www.800ta.org/content/800Mhz/call_sign.asp

From the RR Wiki

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> It's really a win-win for the county. All radios that cannot be reprogrammed for the rebanding will be replaced with a new unit by NEXTEL.

If we're talking about an EDACS trunked system, there is no need to replace the radios. Just reprogram it for the new frequencies.

Only Motorola systems use a channel plan - rather than an actual frequency - to assign talk group activity. Rebanding will make some changes to the channel plan, and that's what necessitates reprogramming / replacing radios on a Motorola system.

qball

Premium Subscriber
Rebanded channels

Here is the easy way to figure out NPSPAC rebanded channels.....they all drop 15 MHz.

For example, If you are on 866.0125 now, your rebanded channel will be 851.0125. This is the case for all of the 866 - 869 frequencies.

Q

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> For example, If you are on 866.0125 now, your rebanded channel will be 851.0125. This is the case for all of the 866 - 869 frequencies.

Hi, QBall. I haven't seen the following questions posted / covered on RR or the other forums. Would you know:

a - If an agency is rebanded from the NPSPAC frequencies, are they also required to move to a narrower bandwidth since another local licensee may be +/- 12.5 kHz of their new frequencies ?

b - If a public safety licensee rebands into the 851-854 segment, and experiences interference from an SMR who has not rebanded out of those frequencies, who has the primary responsibility to solve that interference issue ?

c - I was under the impression that, during the rebanding process, there should normally be a time period when an agency's TRS license(s) would reflect both the "old" and "new" frequencies. Correct or incorrect ?

Thanks, QBall.

badmuther

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard anything about it for this soon.

I highly doubt it, as no one has asked for the keys to my patrol car or for our portables.

Oh it's about to occur. The Communications Director has been coordinating dilligently with everyone for the past few weeks. Something happened to make them postpone beginning on 6/6/2008, but it will be soon.

qball

Premium Subscriber
>> For example, If you are on 866.0125 now, your rebanded channel will be 851.0125. This is the case for all of the 866 - 869 frequencies.

Hi, QBall. I haven't seen the following questions posted / covered on RR or the other forums. Would you know:

a - If an agency is rebanded from the NPSPAC frequencies, are they also required to move to a narrower bandwidth since another local licensee may be +/- 12.5 kHz of their new frequencies ?

b - If a public safety licensee rebands into the 851-854 segment, and experiences interference from an SMR who has not rebanded out of those frequencies, who has the primary responsibility to solve that interference issue ?

c - I was under the impression that, during the rebanding process, there should normally be a time period when an agency's TRS license(s) would reflect both the "old" and "new" frequencies. Correct or incorrect ?

Thanks, QBall.

Jeff, Sorry I haven't aswered you sooner. I went out of town right after I made the post and haven't done a whole lot on RR since I got back. But, Let me see if I can answer your questions.

A - NPSPAC 866 - 869.995MHz channels already operate at a more narrow bandwidth than other 800MHz channels....they operate at 20KHz and that will not change once they reband.

B - 851 - 854 is being cleared for public safety just as the 866 - 869 are public safety only today. There may be some issue near Georgia with the SouthernLinc system, but I have tried to avoid that portion of this mind bobling event. Generally speaking, the rebanded channel that you get will have the same cochannel and adjacent channel users as you have today. It is supposed to be a "no-impact" and ultimately status quo situation. To answer your question, it is incumbent upon NEXTEL to make sure that you have equal coverage and no additional interference from other sources when you change channels.

C - Yes, for some period of time, you will hold channels in the 866 - 869MHz and 851 - 854MHz range. The old frequencies will go away once rebanding is complete. In example, some jusrisdictions may choose to run ITAC1 and ITAC1R simultaneously for some period of time. In a case that I have heard about, current and rebanded channels may run for a period of a year or 2 so as to have complete interoperability for the duration of rebanding.

Lastly, I hear that there may be a move to change the NPSPAC mutual aid channel naming standard to the NPSTIC (npstic.org) channel naming standard. This would mean that ICALL would be 8CALL90. ITAC1 would become 8TAC91 and so on. Check it out.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. By the way, I "gave at the office" the other day and thought that I may see you around. Sorry I missed you.

Q

Last edited:
Learned a little more today. It's now looking like this is not going to happen until October. There have been some "issues."

badmuther

Premium Subscriber
Stitch, you seem more in the know then me....I heard a rumor that with the rebanding we'll be able to talk to wake county...any truth to that?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.