Harris and Tait US/Canada/PR Partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.

radef

D

DaveNF2G

Not really sure how that offers "more choices" to customers than an open competitive market based on truly open standards.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Tait actually built most of their equipment to open standards. In fact, they even included ADP 40 bit encryption to keep up with Motorola. Tait has a fairly good chunk of LWIN's subscribers currently (which is a Motorola based system).

Tait also has a full line of Tier 2 and Tier 3 DMR radios which are backwards compatible minus a handful of features with Simoco and Sepura's systems.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
At APCO in Orlando the Tait employees had on their shirts Harris/Tait. I thought that was interesting.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
A common complaint of Harris dealers has been the lack of an affordable low tier radio. Most of them end up selling Tait to fit that tier, so I guess why not? I just don't get what the announcement does for either vendor. Strange indeed.

Might be something more going on here behind the scenes, but that's 100% pure, unadulterated speculation. Harris has a large system infrastructure and "high tier" subscriber following, whereas Tait has a more low tier/small system following.

Project25_MASTR

A common complaint of Harris dealers has been the lack of an affordable low tier radio. Most of them end up selling Tait to fit that tier, so I guess why not? I just don't get what the announcement does for either vendor. Strange indeed.

Might be something more going on here behind the scenes, but that's 100% pure, unadulterated speculation. Harris has a large system infrastructure and "high tier" subscriber following, whereas Tait has a more low tier/small system following.

Part of it was a support issue Harris was having from getting Hytera to support their relabeled DMR portables. When the initial talk of the partnership began, it was just for DMR but in all honesty unless you are looking for IS portables on DMR I'd go with s different vendor (who is lower cost and features full duplex calling, full color displays, etc). Now Tait's P25 solution is a nice little setup to go up against Motorola with. I actually believe LWIN currently has more Tait subscribers on it than Motorola and pricing is almost two TP9400s for an APX6000.

I think they realized that was a valid market to exploit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamhere300

I would hardly call Tait low end.

Tait never liked their North America operation. This is just another way to streamline it, and to do away with the NA office.

The sales people were all offered jobs with Harris, and most have taken them.

Tait also has a strong following in the utilities market, something that Harris does not have.

These talks have been going for a while, ever since the Tait/Kenwood meetings ended.

Project25_MASTR

I would hardly call Tait low end.

Tait never liked their North America operation. This is just another way to streamline it, and to do away with the NA office.

The sales people were all offered jobs with Harris, and most have taken them.

Tait also has a strong following in the utilities market, something that Harris does not have.

These talks have been going for a while, ever since the Tait/Kenwood meetings ended.

I wouldn't call the amount of Tait subscribers on the LWIN system low tier either.

Funny, one of the reasons GE was so common place in the utilities industry was due to them including a new system whenever they engineered/constructed a large scale project. In some areas that was kept true after the Harris acquisition (especially when the larger systems were ran by the city for non-public safety use originally). Lots (but not all) of the Public Safety ran systems went to Motorola…

PACNWDude

Those Tait/Kenwood meetings also included some internal training on Tait DMR equipment. There was a plan to try to get Kenwood affiliates to be compatible. Think JVC Kenwood Group, EF Johnson, Zetron.

This did not go well. So now Tait/Harris is a go.

Look forward to what comes out of this. Tait makes some good gear for a niche utility market. Where it is used, it works very well.

Ljay

Tait/Harris

To bad this will be a disaster for all the committed Tait dealers, as Harris will use the focused account ploy and rip the customers away from them to be placed back to the larger Harris dealers and the RCE distribution. There has never been a partnership from an outside company that has ever worked. Prior to Harris, Commnet, had deal with Tait and mpt 1327. Huge failure left all holding the bag. radios made by Maxon and the list goes on and now the momentum /hytera systems. feel bad for the people that bought into that.
If a Tait dealer wants to sell p25 against a Harris watch what happens Most of the Tait regional folks are now on the Harris payroll. Wonder what happens to the Cassidian customers already inbedded

Weird choice for Tait

Project25_MASTR

Weird choice for Tait

But not for Harris. One of those safeguards for Motorola has been mother /\/\ giving away proprietary, really just uncommon, encryption on large scale systems to more or less lock the customer into the brand. With the Tait partnership, it blows the doors wide open for Harris to come in an sell SU's on a Motorola system as Tait made a point in building to some of Motorola's more specific systems such as including ADP as a encryption algorithm. And with Motorola's Capacity Max having Tier 3 DMR interoperability, there is a new front for Harris to take advantage of there. It'll be a game changer as now most of Harris/Tait's P25 and DMR SU's come in cheaper than any comparable Motorola.

I think some money may have influenced Tait here…

Status
Not open for further replies.