• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris military radio clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Vaporware, can't order it from that site. Alibaba has it for $188.00, but doesn't show shipping costs until you complete order, and I didn't do that. The other thing is no frequency ranges given, no power out levels or sensitivity. I agree probably a Befonger in a cheap plastic look alike case.

On another Chinese site 446shop.com it gives the specs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Found others on e-bay listings that appear to be a FRS radio.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There's a number of these on e-Bay.

Cheap CCR's in a fancy box. Aimed at the Airsoft guys so they can look like real soldiers. The ones I've seen on e-Bay have no FCC numbers on them. VHF/UHF coverage. No spec's given.

I agree, not a knock off, it's a look-alike toy for grown adults pretending they are soldiers.

prcguy

I've seen one Chinese version of the PRC-152 and the MBITR and you cannot tell them from the real thing by looking at the case. I've had them next to the real thing and its an impressive physical copy. The internal radio is a dual band VHF/UHF and works about the same as a Baofeng, not that bad but not great either.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I had the Triumph version and it was cheap. Looked good, actually performed OK, but it was a cheap radio inside. RX audio was super weak and tinny. But there was plenty of room inside it to mod it, increase audio output, add equalization, and install a better speaker.

Programming it was a stone cold b***h. REALLY non-intuitive and even with the aid of the manual, it wasn't easy. The only thing I'd say for it was that battery life was killer and it was at least a functional dual band radio. Not awful. Not even for the price. But it's just a cheap radio with a certain cosmetic to it. Expect no miracles.

RFI-EMI-GUY

They did a good job replicating a Harris case but its in no way a clone. The innards are similar to a $25 Baofeng UV-5R. Kind of like a Rolls Royce kit car made from an old Volkswagen.
Exactly!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

There's a number of these on e-Bay.

Cheap CCR's in a fancy box. Aimed at the Airsoft guys so they can look like real soldiers. The ones I've seen on e-Bay have no FCC numbers on them. VHF/UHF coverage. No spec's given.

I agree, not a knock off, it's a look-alike toy for grown adults pretending they are soldiers.
I gotta wonder, with the way they market this, if some procurement officers in third world country's are being duped into buying these for their military.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Vaporware, can't order it from that site. Alibaba has it for $188.00, but doesn't show shipping costs until you complete order, and I didn't do that. The other thing is no frequency ranges given, no power out levels or sensitivity. I agree probably a Befonger in a cheap plastic look alike case.

On another Chinese site 446shop.com it gives the specs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Found others on e-bay listings that appear to be a FRS radio.
The site given has a specs tab, showing the freq ranges. (Or did you mean Ali Baba has no specs given?)

Sent using Tapatalk

rescuecomm

I've seen one Chinese version of the PRC-152 and the MBITR and you cannot tell them from the real thing by looking at the case. I've had them next to the real thing and its an impressive physical copy. The internal radio is a dual band VHF/UHF and works about the same as a Baofeng, not that bad but not great either.

This ^

Somewhat more water resistant than the low priced Baofengs/Wouxuns as advertised too.
The TCA versions of the radios can use Harris headphones and batteries without modification. Where else can you get a new radio for $230 plus shipping that can use battle tested accessories?

Obviously, no manufacturer is going to be able to produce a fully equivalent copy of a PRC-152 for five percent of the real McCoy's price.

Bob

prcguy

The market for these was originally paint ball enthusiasts but their popularity has crossed over to military radio collectors on a budget and the curious.

I gotta wonder, with the way they market this, if some procurement officers in third world country's are being duped into buying these for their military.

rescuecomm

Well Pro-91, have you used it, tried out the water resistant case, and bought any of the large capacity battery packs?

A field report please.

Bob

mancow

Database Admin
Probably had better audio than the speaker in my 5800.

Last edited:

rescuecomm

There is a pretty good thread on the PRC-148 clone and the various versions of the PRC-152 clones on M4Carbine.Net. It seems that one of the PRC-152 clones is advertised as have 28-30 mhz capability.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.