• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris radios on a EF Johnson P25 Atlas simulcast system

Status
Not open for further replies.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Our neighbors to the south have rolled out a EF J P25 simulcast system. We have Harris radios ( 7300s, XG-Ps) that operate on our OPEN SKY system. My understanding is that the techs for the EF J system are having issues with Harris radios working correctly. Once a Harris radio locks onto a talkgroup/tower/etc it will not let go and hence keeps that channel stays " open " . I may not be explaining it correctly, but you get the general idea. Our Harris radios do work on our Statewide MOTO P25 system without any issues. Any one have experience with running Harris on a EF J P25 system? Thanks Officer Dave

DisasterGuy

It sounds like they are describing that the radio isnt deregistering when leaving the talkgroup. This shouldn't be the case with either a P7300 or XG75p. The only time that I have seen this behavior is if the radio loses power hard or goes out of range and doesn't come back in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

officerdave

Retired LEO
Just spoke with Harris techs and NOPE P7300s or XG-75s are not going to work on the Atlas system. Different code and Harris is not going to pay for new code for these radios to work on EF J systems. They thought maybe? UNITY radios might work , alas we don't have any. Our radios are on Open Sky ( what happens when IT people work on radio ) Gotta love a radio that has to "boot up" to work …..

officerdave

Retired LEO
The County to my south was on an EDACS system for years. They have P25 capable radios as do I . Our OPEN SKY radios also operate fine on our Statewide P25 Moto system in ECP. Harris has brought in techs from other parts of the state as well as Lynchburg for help.
Cant tell you the specific issue but it seems for now , Harris radios are out .

low3oh

I'd be curious to hear what Harris has to say the problem is. With the proper featureset and firmware i can't see why they wouldn't work on an atlas p25 system.

DisasterGuy

I agree. I dont have an Atlas system in the region to test with but have validated Harris subscribers on Harris VIDA, Moto Astro and Codan infrastructure. I have also validated Motorola, Kenwood and EFJ on Hareis VIDA infrastructure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tommypickles

Officer Dave,
If you are referring to Will Co. ILL new P25 Atlas system, The Harris will not work.
I remember speaking to a tech when the system first went on the air in 2017.
They could not get their old Harris radios to work on the system.
Motorola's have no problems working on the Atlas system.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Met with our local PD tech yesterday to get my new to me XG -75 programmed on interops . He said that Harris sent him a new code for his test Harris radios to try on the Atlas system. Looks like maybe Unity, XG , XL portables will be able to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.