Harris to Hytera Firmware Change

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have a Harris Momentum I want to convert to Hytera. Are there any documented procedures on how to do this? The Harris is currently using A5.00.15.001 firmware.

Thanks

Tim

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Can it be done? Yes.... I've done a few of them. However it's tricky and can be a royal pain in the butt. Basically the older the firmware you have, the easier it is. I did it on a radio with V4 firmware and it wasn't too bad (you could just trick the updater into accepting the Harris model # as valid). The 2nd one I did I *think* was v5.something and it was definitely trickier.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Can it be done? Yes.... I've done a few of them. However it's tricky and can be a royal pain in the butt. Basically the older the firmware you have, the easier it is. I did it on a radio with V4 firmware and it wasn't too bad (you could just trick the updater into accepting the Harris model # as valid). The 2nd one I did I *think* was v5.something and it was definitely trickier.
The Harris radio has A5.00.15.001 in it. I'm all ears if you recall how you did the change.

Thanks,

Tim

Did you have any luck with this change? I have 4 HDM150's and a HDR150 I need to get programmed and hoping to get them into Hytera firmware as well.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
This may be a silly question, but why not just run it as a Harris?
Harris has dropped the Momentum DMR line so no further updates are available (their last released firmware/cps was v7.something). Meanwhile Hytera is still releasing updates and new features, so it's an appealing route to go.

The problem is that after (I think) firmware v6 rolled out they significantly changed their codeplug structure and firmware update process to prevent people from tinkering with things. It can be done, but it's a royal pain in the rear end and time consuming if you don't know what you are doing. The one REALLY nice thing with Hytera radios is that you can basically totally wipe the thing... firmware and all... and it'll still go into bootloader mode and let you restore backups, so it's actually pretty difficult to brick a unit. I bought an MD782 that was all sorts of messed up (I suspect someone tried to change the region & language packs on it and totally messed up) but after several months of of tinkering with it a little at a time I was finally able to get it running again (with the help of a few guys that are really versed in Hytera stuff).

If you wanted to attempt changing firmware you would need the firmware update packages, CPS, tuner and a program called Flashburn that lets you blindly read/write different modules from the radio. If the radio is just for ham use... honestly I'd say upgrade it to the last Harris release and be done with it. You'll save yourself a lot of stress that way!

Oh, I didnt know all of that.
I have 2 momentum mobiles I run as base stations.
VHF and UHF. Theyre both running off of the Harris CPS.
I have both V6 and V7 versions of the cps, but I didnt install V6 because of the way Hytera CPS's act when you update the cps.
Oddly enough, the Harris CPS hasn't affected my Hytera CPS I had previously installed.
When I open the Hytera cps, it'll show in the momentum "opened files" tab, but I cant open it.
FW is another story. I have no way to update.
Unless there's a way to put FW from 1 radio to the other. One of the radios'are up to date, the other is I believe 2 versions behind.

Edit: FWIW The Hytera V8 cps is MUCH more feature rich!