Harrisburg Pump Primers 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
I am planning on attending this year . It will be my first time . Are there any frequencies that I should listen to other than the Dauphin Co. System for this event,also does anyone have any recommendations of what to see and or do when I get there, other than watching the pumpers? I have heard that there is some sort af flea market or something. Thanks

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
There is a flea market area, nothing like you'd see at Allentown though. I got a couple of apparatus manufacturer name plates last year. As you'd expect, there are a lot of rigs pumping on the river, but there are just as many on static display, many of them in museum-quality shape.

As for "things to do," most of the people that are there are there to look at the pumpers, so there aren't a lot of ancillary events to keep you occupied.

As for what to listen to on the scanner, I haven't a clue. I go equipped with cameras, and leave the scanner in the car.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
The scanner was only a thought and wasn't a priority. I just watched some youtube footage of the parade to the park from 2010 and that alone would be worth the trip....................... Mostly going for the displays and pumpers but I would love to find some diecast trucks or memorabilia. Thanks!

WF3J

Premium Subscriber
I have attended the Pump Primers many times over the years. Most all the activity is across from the Harrisburg Hospital at Front and Market Streets where the firefighter contests and flea market is set up, with the rigs on the river walkway. The Market Street Bridge is a great location for photos. The usual tower ladder rides are offered by Progress Truck 32 and Harrisburg City Tower 3. Not far away and still located in the City is the Harrisburg Fire Museum, which is definitely worth the side trip to go visit. There is little activity on the radio, other than some of the participants talking on private channels. You will need an APCO-25 scanner to listen to Dauphin County chatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.