Harrisonburg-Rockingham County going P-25 [1 of 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Oh ok I was trying to do non affiliated scan with this system and the Stockbridge system but having trouble with the bandplan

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
What I did....

Using 'Harrisonburg-Rockingham ECC' as the name for the FCC Search, I located the latest two licenses for them and compiled all the frequencies for all of their sites. Discovering that Valley, Feedstone and Mountain areas were all that I needed, I programmed those three sites into the 436HP and 536HP and turned on ID Search. This worked! I did not know and still don't know the bandplan if any. Attached, you will see screenshots of my Sentinel programming software setup. I hope this helps. For those who are using a trx-1, this setup should also work under a 'P25 Trunk X2' System Type.

If it has not been done by this coming weekend, I will go near the area and use my pc and trx-1 to run pro96com. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Harrisonburg-Feedstone.jpg
    Harrisonburg-Feedstone.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Harrisonburg-Feedstone-BandPlan.jpg
    Harrisonburg-Feedstone-BandPlan.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 331
  • Harrisonburg-Mtn.jpg
    Harrisonburg-Mtn.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Harrisonburg-Mtn-Bandplan.jpg
    Harrisonburg-Mtn-Bandplan.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Harrisonburg-Valley.jpg
    Harrisonburg-Valley.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 331

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
The active CC is currently 851.4625. I attempted Pro96com, but am unable to decode any data with the Pro197 I am using. I tested it with STARS and was able to decode data on that system, so the setup and cable appear correct. Will Pro96com work with a Harris P25 system?

I removed all frequencies except the CC from the system and the scanner locks on quickly.
My very first impressions are the 436 works well on this system. Probably an 8 or 9 out of 10. I will work with it more tomorrow. I had my 536 scanning it this evening. It took approximately 15 minutes to find the CC and start decoding data. I will place only the CC in tomorrow and give it a try- should be fine. I turned the scanner off and back on and it picked the correct CC as soon as it loaded. I am assuming this must be written to the scanner's SD card when it powers down(???).

Fun facts: All TG's that I have seen are identical from the previous system. It appears simulcasting or multicasting TG's can be heard on the correct TG. For a scanner on the old system, you needed to leave it in search and a "random" TG would appear with the traffic from the effected TG's. Nice improvement! Radio ID's have changed. No big news or big deal. But interesting (at least to me) that during the testing the new radios carried the old ID and now they have a new ID when the switchover was made.

Negatives: Haven't really found any. The voice traffic maybe slightly distorted at times. But not bad... especially from what I have read about a simulcast systems and the 436/ 536. Impressed again. I seemed to lose the signal this morning on my drive to work. But this was in an area that had not so good reception with the old system. At some point during this time, I turned the scanner down... don't know why, so it may have stopped receiving shorter than what I thought. But I do know the DAT was not on the screen to indicate decoding.

That's about all I have for now.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Tglendye, the control channel you show is for what I have as the valley sites. What about feedstone, and mountain sites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Let's call this the Valey Site:
851.4625 CC
851.5625 Alternate
852.1125 Alternate
852.3375 Alternate
853.1250 Alternate
853.3750 Alternate
853.9520 Alternate

I am focusing on the Valley site for now. I thought the sites were the same frequencies countywide, but I think BlueMoon2 is thinking correctly. Pro96com indicates adjacent sites as 852.8250 and 851.8250.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
So, related to this. Where does Harrisonburg-Rockingham public safety go when they need any service for their Harris radios? Not all the way down to Lynchburg I hope?!

Clear communications has a shop in Harrisonburg but that’s Motorola. (Scratching my head)

lexmedic157

We in Rockbridge typically use New London Technologies since they're a Harris vendor. My assumption is the same for Rockingham, since they had their hand in installing the system.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Lexmedic is probably right, but I don’t know how that exactly is handled. kG4DPS may know, too. I had a M/A-Com radio when they switched originally. It had a couple of minor repairs done in house at ECC. I don’t know what the process is now.

lexmedic157

They way Rockbridge does it, and I can’t remember how Rockingham said they do it but all the radios belong to the county. If there’s a problem with a radio, it is brought to ECC for a swap out. After that, insurance is filed, or repair is arranged through the comm center.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
If anybody monitoring this thread would like live recordings of the day that the new system went live, let me know, I have them. I’m Still planning to run pro96com on the alternate sites this Saturday at 2p in the parking lot of the valley mall, Harrisonburg.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what some of the talkgroups are and is law enforcement encrypted

cappy400

Great Job!!!

Great Job to all that have posted info on this change over. I put the frequencies in like Bluemoon did and i am monitoring from Staunton. I cannot pick up Feedstone (maybe to far away) but Mountain and Valley sound good. I just put the frequencies in like Bluemoon did on the 3 sites. I did not put ALL the frequencies in on the post from the FCC dump. I notice that the system does not seem as active. Maybe i am missing something. Also, i run the system from my 436 to the computer thru Arc program, i notice that i cannot get any unit IDS to come up. The talk groups come up fine, most if not all are the same as before. But the actual unit IDS do not show. Am i doing something wrong? Once again great job to all that have posted info for us on here. I do not know much about the inner workings of p25, i am thinking maybe i may not have it set up correctly due to the inactiveness in my opinion, or the unit ids not coming up. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
The unit ID’s are showing up different, but they are there. They begin with a “4” and I believe are six digit numbers. I’ve submitted some more system info. I believe the Mountain Site (and I am not certain the sites have retained the same names- haven’t had time this week to check) appears to have 3 frequencies. A third site is active too- must be Feedstone. The sites seem to limit unnecessary traffic and seem to carry TG’s of radios that are affiliated.

dtscho

Database Admin
I just added talkgroups to the system database page that were submitted by multiple people. Please look over carefully, and let me know of any additions/corrections.

Thank you,
Dave

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
When I was riding around this weekend on route 33 in Rockingham county between elkton and mcgaheysville, I stopped at the mcgaheysville Fire Co and saw that they have at least one Harris xl-200p. Nice, very nice! I would still love to get my hands on a modern Harris portable or mobile. I’ve seen their competition!

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I programmed my scanner with the licensed freqs for what are commonly (for now) referred to as Valley, Mountain, and Feedstone. I analyzed the sites with my SDS100 and received Valley and Feedstone, did not receive Mountain.

The freqs that are shown in the database do not coincide with the FCC license or the old EDACS system. The database for the P25 system show that freqs licensed for Mountain are shown for Feedstone, freqs licensed for Feedstone are shown for Mountain. Any others concur or not?

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
If you use the screenshots that I have below of the frequencies for each site, that should work for you. Those frequencies are from the p25 p2 license as listed in the fcc database. As far as I’m aware, the valley simulcast site, and others have worked. We are still working on figuring out the rest. I hope that helps.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I programmed my scanner with the licensed freqs for what are commonly (for now) referred to as Valley, Mountain, and Feedstone. I analyzed the sites with my SDS100 and received Valley and Feedstone, did not receive Mountain.

The freqs that are shown in the database do not coincide with the FCC license or the old EDACS system. The database for the P25 system show that freqs licensed for Mountain are shown for Feedstone, freqs licensed for Feedstone are shown for Mountain. Any others concur or not?

The Mountain Site is the far northwest section of the county, in the Bergton area. I'm in that area very rarely, and I am not sure if it can be received from any other areas, as the Valley Site covers most of the county.

I checked what I have for Feedstone and Mountain both last night and this morning. I am not receiving a signal from either at this time. I can receive Feedstone fine from my home, normally.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
If you use the screenshots that I have below of the frequencies for each site, that should work for you. Those frequencies are from the p25 p2 license as listed in the fcc database. As far as I’m aware, the valley simulcast site, and others have worked. We are still working on figuring out the rest. I hope that helps.

Let me put it another way,,,, the freqs listed in the RRDB are not correct for the Mountain and Feedstone sites.

I programmed the freqs from the screenshots. I received Valley, Feestone. Did not receive Mountain.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Let me put it another way,,,, the freqs listed in the RRDB are not correct for the Mountain and Feedstone sites.

I programmed the freqs from the screenshots. I received Valley, Feestone. Did not receive Mountain.

I just checked. Feedstone has now changed to 851.300. Where were you when you were trying to receive the Mountain Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.