Has anyone taken the sds scanner on a cruise ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfw1193

Either the 100 or 200 if so what type systems do the cruise lines use and could you hear them in your cabin or had to be out on deck, I bet there is lot of gossip going on about the passengers from the crew to crew comm's.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I brought a handheld with me several years ago. Our particular ship had just a conventional vhf system. No gossip but listening to operations during an anchor-drop was pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ecps92

Usually no gossip, as the Capt' is monitoring, but lots of other info

Either the 100 or 200 if so what type systems do the cruise lines use and could you hear them in your cabin or had to be out on deck, I bet there is lot of gossip going on about the passengers from the crew to crew comm's.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 was used in my cabin room on the Oceania Cruises - Riviera ship.
Also planning to use it on Viking Sky this year!

Most cruise lines using Analog or DMR.
(Haven’t seen any NDXN reported yet for cruise ships)
(Some ports with 3+ cruise ships can be little too busy on the scanner)

SDS is great for researching DMR/NXDN being used port/town visit. Plus other software resources(DSD+, Pro96com,etc)

Some of the good stuff is when the ship is about to leave port and they start looking for the few people that show up late to reboard the ship!
Plus hearing when the ‘Pilot’ is getting on to the ship before pulling into port.

Most of the cruise ship workers will carry Wireless WiFi Phones on them. Some cruise staff still use ‘pagers’.
Security and maintenance crew/pool staff will carry radios.
Each cruise line or ship is different...

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
The newest item in my cruise scanner bag is...
10 foot usb extension cable.
Since many scanners using USB for power.
(Might come in handy depending where the USB ports are in the cabin room)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am going on Caribbean cruise May 11 on Carnival Magic for a family reunion with 41 people. Bro-in-law invested in a lot of radios with everyone donating $12 (he told me they were 460mhz, I have yet to see one). I am bringing my own pair of FRS radios I just ordered (Uniden SX327s). Also taking my Yaesu FT2-DR and a scanner. I am thinking I will take my TRX-1 because I mostly use CloseCall/Spectrum Sweep with it as I did last cruise in November. I picked up a lot of amazing stuff onboard, but I never could receive security or maintenance on it. I suspect they were using DMR (Carnival Conquest) and neither Close Call or Spectrum Sweeper can detect DMR if I understand correctly.

Does anyone know about the Magic and what they are using onboard? Lots of DMR happening on the cruise ships right now. I won a seat in their $100k Blackjack Tournament, can't wait!

I was shopping one time in Nassau and had my ear phone on and heard taxi drivers conspiring to overcharge a group of people to get back to the ship. One guys says 'charge them 60 bucks to get back, they will pay it or miss the ship. Up to them' Gotta be careful down there. Lots of counterfeit Santa Domingo cigars, too. I found real ones in the Caymans at a small flea market. In Nassau, at a t-shirt shop, there was a guy at the entrance at a small desk station hand-rolling cigars, and he had a little baggie full of fake Cuban seals. I started to call him on it but kept my mouth shut for fear of starting a ruckus. Gotta be careful at the Tourist Traps.

MtnBiker - I have a usb extension as well for charging, and an extension cord with four outlets (cannot bring surge protectors) that serve me well. Bought the same for my wife, as we both have lots of electronics to charge overnight.

JD
kf4anc

ecps92

Last reports on Carnival Magic are from Dec 2012 where they were still Analog, but someone sent from Feb-2012 they were NexEdge [doubtful]

Conquest is DMR

Cruise Ship & Maritime Frequencies
For the most recent reports see the above link

I am going on Caribbean cruise May 11 on Carnival Magic for a family reunion with 41 people. Bro-in-law invested in a lot of radios with everyone donating $12 (he told me they were 460mhz, I have yet to see one). I am bringing my own pair of FRS radios I just ordered (Uniden SX327s). Also taking my Yaesu FT2-DR and a scanner. I am thinking I will take my TRX-1 because I mostly use CloseCall/Spectrum Sweep with it as I did last cruise in November. I picked up a lot of amazing stuff onboard, but I never could receive security or maintenance on it. I suspect they were using DMR (Carnival Conquest) and neither Close Call or Spectrum Sweeper can detect DMR if I understand correctly.

Does anyone know about the Magic and what they are using onboard? Lots of DMR happening on the cruise ships right now. I won a seat in their $100k Blackjack Tournament, can't wait!

I was shopping one time in Nassau and had my ear phone on and heard taxi drivers conspiring to overcharge a group of people to get back to the ship. One guys says 'charge them 60 bucks to get back, they will pay it or miss the ship. Up to them' Gotta be careful down there. Lots of counterfeit Santa Domingo cigars, too. I found real ones in the Caymans at a small flea market. In Nassau, at a t-shirt shop, there was a guy at the entrance at a small desk station hand-rolling cigars, and he had a little baggie full of fake Cuban seals. I started to call him on it but kept my mouth shut for fear of starting a ruckus. Gotta be careful at the Tourist Traps.

MtnBiker - I have a usb extension as well for charging, and an extension cord with four outlets (cannot bring surge protectors) that serve me well. Bought the same for my wife, as we both have lots of electronics to charge overnight.

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I will make up a Scan List of those frequencies for my TRX-1 but I have doubts they still use them 6 years later when so many cruise ships are going DMR, see what happens when I get there :)

ecps92

Yes and No.

Cruise Lines all seem to use the same frequency. Just have changed from PL, to DPL and now DMR, but all the same frequencies :)
I will make up a Scan List of those frequencies for my TRX-1 but I have doubts they still use them 6 years later when so many cruise ships are going DMR, see what happens when I get there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.