Have your own custom scanner built?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I know all electronic things are possible in China. I know there is a company that can build you your own motherboard based on your specifics. And I even saw a guy on YouTube buy parts from different areas around China to build his own smartphone. So I can only imagine that you could have your own scanner built to your specification. Something like that would probably cost a pretty penny, buy hey, it's custom.

Wouldn't that be cool to have your own customized scanner?

RFI-EMI-GUY

With SDR and all the options for free software that opportunity already exists.

I would like an SDR RADIO with everything integrated together and large built in screen . Then be able to load any of the software modules that are available. It would still have knobs and buttons and it would be mandatory to have preselector filters . But it would be one box.

The is icoms R8600, but it has tiny knobs and screen, and no way to load other software into it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
My assumption is that the hardware part of building a radio receiver is fairly easy these days thanks to the radio-on-chip devices available on the market. The hard part is the software/firmware to control the receiver and decode the signals after the ROC detects them.

I will also note that even with the radio-on-chip devices, some manufacturers have chosen to build receivers consisting of off-the-shelf ADCs feeding off-the-shelf FPGAs. All of the signal processing is done in the FPGA and that's all software which is not cheap to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.