Having trouble getting DSD to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDMechanic

I am having troubles getting DSD to work on an Provoice system where I am visting. Any time I type either dsd-h or dsd-fp i get an error saying file not found. Am I typing something wrong or due I have furter problems with the program? Any help would be much apperciated.

Sinager

...Any time I type either dsd-h or dsd-fp i get an error saying file not found. Am I typing something wrong ...

Looks like.
For starters be sure to be in the directory where dsd is located, than try:

./dsd --help

note that you gotta put a space between command and arguments, while it seems you didn't in the text above.
You should see a small help text coming out.
If that works, it means the command is indeed there, available and supposedly ready to do its works.

HDMechanic

I have one more problem if anyone can help. In the laptop I am using the sound card has crashed. I did buy a USB sound card and see it working good but can't get it to work with DSD and can't find wich dev audio device to use. Can anyone out their get me pointed in the right direction. I due admit that I'm a Linux illiterate. Thanks

Sinager

What Linux distribution are you running?
Several recent distributions dropped the "/dev/dsp" sound devices support which is needed by DSD. Any Ubuntu later than 10.04 just to mention an example.

To check whether this is the case try doing:
ls /dev/dsp*

if you get a list such as
/dev/dsp
/dev/dsp1
that's the list of the available sound devices that you can use with the -i and -o flags. Built in sound card will probably be /dev/dsp and the usb one /dev/dsp1

If you don't get any entries, there's three possible solutions:
1- reinstall your pc with an older distribution
2- patch and recompile DSD as explained in another recent post here, in order to use it via the padsp wrapper
3- recompile your kernel with OSS support

Number 2 is the fastest, number 3 my favourite as it allows to upgrade other parts of your system while maintaining backward compability.

Status
Not open for further replies.