Having Trouble Monitoring CHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CHP GREEN - valley division

I think the OP means the Green Channel in the Valley division, which covers portions of El Dorado, Placer and Nevada counties.

I monitor that channel (and many others) all the time. I do not have issues with it. However, I use external antennas suited for the job and not hand-held antennas. I use a discone when base and have several magnetic mounts to choose from when mobile.

Also I monitor both base and mobile frequencies. The dispatcher can turn on and off the 'repeat' function at a whim. I often pick up mobiles more clearly from their mobile frequency anyway (especially when we're close to each other).

The 700MHz frequencies are the new 'extender' frequencies. They've replaced the old VHF 154.905 MHz extender. You're not missing anything by not scanning them. Expect the need to be close to someone to pick one up.

jnvc57

Premium Subscriber
CHP Valley Div Green

Yes correct I do mean "Green" channel within Valley Div which is Western Nevada Co/Western Placer Co and Western El Dorado Co.

Ok I do have the correct VHF low band freqs programmed 45.360/42.720, but In Placer Co I never hear
anything. I used to a moths ago when I first found these new freqs (old green were 42.240/42.540), but
nothing these days. I do not have an external antenna at this time.

JNVC57

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CHP

Ok I do have the correct VHF low band freqs programmed 45.360/42.720, but In Placer Co I never hear anything.
GREEN CHP is one of the busiest channels I monitor (whether base or mobile). Do you have CTs programmed? Those changed too, not just the frequencies.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Ok I do have the correct VHF low band freqs programmed 45.360/42.720, but In Placer Co I never hear
anything...I do not have an external antenna at this time.

I also monitor this channel any time I'm mobile, and it is very active. I use a dedicated low-band radio with a proper antenna. I would concur with Gmclam and suggest you check your CT codes. Also, if you don't have an external antenna, unless you are near one of the transmitter sites, you will likely not hear anything but static, or simply nothing.

jnvc57

Premium Subscriber
CHP Green radio ( Valley Div Foothills)

Ok...well I feel sort dumb here now....It was my old Bearcat scanner apparently. I just bought a used but like brand new quality on Ebay for dirt cheap Bearcat 210xl and loaded in the CHP 45.36 & 42.72 w/o any PL or ctcss tones as I don't think I can add those in the older model scanner and they work fine with just a old car antenna I hooked up in my shop. I get rather amazing reception with this new Bearcat and the old antenna!! Thanks for the feed back. I haven't used this forum much.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CHP

You do not need to program/add CT values. However, if you have the wrong values programmed, that can keep you from hearing the channel. Because the CHP is on low band VHF, I use them. Also, they re-use frequencies throughout the state, so the proper CT helps indicate that I am receiving what I think I am.

jnvc57

Premium Subscriber
CHP continuing...

Yes I am aware of the CTCSS tones that CHP uses, and their reusing of VHF Lo freqs, similar to how Cal Fire reuses but in the VHF Hi band arena. I only listen to Valley Div Green in the foothills, Placer/Nevada/El Dorado counties. ( I listen to more agencies too buy only CHP green) I don't listen mobile only desk top model. I have a Bendix King EPH for listening to VHF Hi and I have a programming plug for changing as needed. It fits my needs.

rananthony04

I didn't want to start a new thread, as this relates somewhat to the title of this thread.

I've noticed that the audio in Southern Division sounds digitized. As if it is being converted to analog from digital. Sometimes it is difficult to understand a field unit when he/she is transmitting. Anyone else notice this?

oracavon

I didn't want to start a new thread, as this relates somewhat to the title of this thread.

I've noticed that the audio in Southern Division sounds digitized. As if it is being converted to analog from digital. Sometimes it is difficult to understand a field unit when he/she is transmitting. Anyone else notice this?

You'll hear that when they use their new 700 Mhz digital extenders. Their vehicle radios are still analog, but the link from the extender to the vehicle is digital, so it sounds like you describe when they use the extenders. Sometimes it creates a strange digital echo as well, making the extenders even more difficult to understand. It definitely takes some getting used to. Fortunately, their vehicle radios don't exhibit that feature when used directly without the extenders.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
It is / they are. The field units are on the new P25 extenders (700 MHz), and are being converted from digital to analog in the patrol vehicles.

atech

Premium Subscriber
CHP Lake

From the RR data base..

Ukiah Dispatch Center

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
42.56000 KDA712 B 107.2 PL WHT NOR B Base - WHITE - Ukiah (18) / Clear Lake (7) FM Law Dispatch
42.72000 KA4993 M 107.2 PL WHT NOR M Mobile - WHITE - Ukiah (18) / Clear Lake (7) FM Law Dispatch
769.43125 RM DB2 NAC WHT EXT P Extender - WHITE - Primary P25 Law Dispatch
769.18125 RM DAE NAC WHT EXT A Extender - WHITE - Alternate P25 Law Dispatch
44.92000 KME318 BM 100.0 PL WHT 3 NOR Base - WHITE 3 - Ukiah (18)/Lake (7) FM Law Dispatch

NOTICE THE LAST LISTING SAY`S LAKE !! Also the mobile extender is 769 Mhz...

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
While PL tones CAN be useful, I usually don't program them in...I have 1 hand held scanner with the CHP freq's just carrier squelch, and rely on the proximity. That way I can drive with fewer distractions (not taking my eyes from the road).

I also have 1 hand held that DOES have PL tones but it doesn't enhance my listening experience.

Sometimes a marginal signal might be a pain to listen to but the straight carrier squelch channel is more listenable, especially whe driving in mountains.

I have excellent coverage with a tri-band magmount antenna with BNC connector...Rat Shack Pro-164 has the PL tones, the Pro-95 has no Pl tones.

Rat Shack Pro-164, Pro-2006, and another scanner stay at home with no PL

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
For HOME base operation, I use

1)...a Discone receive antenna with a center loaded whip (for 42mhz)

2)...A directional beam antenna with built in rotor & 20dB amplifier (split between a scanner & FM radio)

3)...and old triband scanner antenna, sans mag mount, pole mounted

4)...and on a cabin a simple small rat shack ground plane

In the mountains I appreciate that the Pro 2006 also gets the FM broadcast band, & can run on 12vdc...

I'd rather reconfigure / repurpose and old antenna than throw it away...receive antennas don't need to be that precise. I do have a dual band (2m / 70cm) ground plane for transmitting (& can hit over a dozen repeaters from my QTH)

oracavon

Two reasons I use PL:

1. Some frequencies have background interference in some areas (not uncommon in Orange County), resulting in noise breaking the squelch. Very irritating. Use of PL eliminates the noise.

2. Using PL can eliminate annoying squelch tails when used on channels which drop the PL before dropping carrier (such as the LA CHP channels).

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CHP

While PL tones CAN be useful, I usually don't program them in...I have 1 hand held scanner with the CHP freq's just carrier squelch, and rely on the proximity. That way I can drive with fewer distractions (not taking my eyes from the road).
CHP is on low band VHF. Those frequencies are notorious for skip and other "noise". If you don't use a CT value, then you have to set the squelch up so high that it kills wanted traffic on other bands.

First, I believe in using an antenna that will give me the best signal(s) for what I want to receive (most quieting). Next, I like to keep my squelch as tight as I can so it doesn't cut out on wanted signals. Also, since CHP re-uses frequencies; I want to make sure I am hearing who I think I am. I've been in places picking up two dispatch centers at the same time, I'd at least like to know which is which.

CHP channels have a unique sound, no need to read the display to know it's them; other than to perhaps read which channel/district. I use the newer object oriented GRE radios (PSR-310, PSR-500, etc) which have the LED. I have the CHP extender and mobile freqs set to flash the LED (that gets your attention without taking eyes off the road as well).

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
when traveling going threw Baker and barstow area the chp channels dont work very good seems like when you see a chp unit he is on a cell phone :) not a radio

The transmitters and terrain between Barstow and the state line are in constant competition. A significant portion of that drive is big enough terrain that you will only clearly hear CHP from one transmitter, and even then only if you have a mounted antenna. So you will hear a lot of static-filled transmissions unless they are on the closest site. I worked out there for 3 1/2 years, based in Baker, and used the CHP system every day. At the time, there were places where it was the only radio that would work...the county system at that time had a lot of dead spots, especially from Afton to XXYZX. They have since put up additional repeaters to fill the gaps.

yeomandroid

Re: CAD Dispatching

Also consider that CHP radio traffic has diminished significantly due to CAD dispatching. Just an opinion.

That opinion seems to be quite accurate sir. It's been extremely quiet with radio traffic in the Ventura/Santa Barbara region and there's no indication of the 700 MHz frequency range in use for the area. Occasionally, there's a blip from nearby mobile units on 42.160, mostly motorcycle unit(s) I believe.

However, 42.400 and 45.400 are about as quiet as a ghost town these days. Additionally, I have not heard any Lime channels or Coastal division channels either, to include every frequency listed in RadioReference. So, I believe this confirms your opinion.

scottyhetzel

That opinion seems to be quite accurate sir. It's been extremely quiet with radio traffic in the Ventura/Santa Barbara region and there's no indication of the 700 MHz frequency range in use for the area. Occasionally, there's a blip from nearby mobile units on 42.160, mostly motorcycle unit(s) I believe.

However, 42.400 and 45.400 are about as quiet as a ghost town these days. Additionally, I have not heard any Lime channels or Coastal division channels either, to include every frequency listed in RadioReference. So, I believe this confirms your opinion.

Obviously motor units don't have mdt, they have to run plates all the time on the air. Indio red does not have motor units, no traffic issues. I use cad.chp.ca.gov. "Traffic" tab... you can usually see cad show up before they voice the call. Try it out..

Status
Not open for further replies.