Having trouble with NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
I ran all the updates for my TRX-1 and it shows it imported and is scanning the NXDN that is in my area. (Coffeyville, KS) But I still do not receive any traffic. I have checked all the settings i know, any suggestions would be appreciated. I do know I am missing traffic, I am listening on dsd/fmp.

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
I do know Coffeyville (under Action Communications) is now using a control channel that changes every night between 3 channels, all of which are programmed.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Ok open the Whistler TRX-1 software click on Trunked Radio Systems Click on your site under type does it say NXDN(C) or NXDN(D) I think NXDN(D) is for trunked systems. I only have only conventional near me right now. Below is a copy from another post.

The release note says:"The Mode column will accept a value of NXDN, NEXEDGE, IDAS, NXDN48, or NXDN96 as valid NXDN options."

But can't be right? I can only find one setting, NXDN, for conventional and NXDN(C) and (D) for trunked.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
NXDN systems must have all the frequencies programmed into the proper LCN order. also, I have selected NXDN(C) for the local trunked system and this is what works. Apparently, NXDN(C) is what you choose as system type if the system you are trying to monitor has a single continuous control channel, as opposed to sub audible data combined with voice on the same frequency.

philacop

Premium Subscriber
Nxdn trunked

Question, if the system has to be in correct Lin how would you put them order as the frequencies have channel numbers instead,ex 431, 1014 and so on. The software setup has no area to input such information.

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
I am getting some transmissions now, since i changed the RAN from 00 to Any. Still not getting near what i hear on dsd.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Question, if the system has to be in correct Lin how would you put them order as the frequencies have channel numbers instead,ex 431, 1014 and so on. The software setup has no area to input such information.

On second thought.....
You're correct; they use a channel number for each frequency in the system. However, I have heard that there is no standard channel mapping scheme; that it might vary between systems. So I revise my response about proper LCN order to...I don't know. :confused:

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
Well I have tried everything I can think of, channel order, settings on/off, dwell, agc, and I have created a file of NXDN frequencies that i know are used and I still just get maybe 1 or 2 transmissions to every hundred that I get on SDR. Anyone getting good results trying to monitor a trunked NXDN system?

milcom_chaser

Well I have tried everything I can think of, channel order, settings on/off, dwell, agc, and I have created a file of NXDN frequencies that i know are used and I still just get maybe 1 or 2 transmissions to every hundred that I get on SDR. Anyone getting good results trying to monitor a trunked NXDN system?

Which SDR Dongles are you using?

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
My dongles are cheap chinese, they work great though. I run dsd+ and fmp, audio and trunk tracking is very good. Not having any trouble with that system, it is the TRX-1 that is not working for NXDN.

SCPD

QRT
I got my first taste of NXDN today on my TRX1 while searching,it came up with Radio ID and that it is decoding NXDN.Sound was very good.Was between 461-465mhz,just for your record.

troymail

Silent Key

I'm monitoring some trunk systems just fine here but the systems are not that busy. How busy is the system you are monitoring? Do you know if there is much data (or other non-voice) activity on the system?

Can you provide any details on what activity/system/frequencies you are trying to monitor?

One thing I believe will make a difference is to cut the squelch back - as long as you have strong signals/reception, I'd put the squelch knob at 12 o'clock (notch pointing directly towards the rear). There are also some other options including setting the system to 9600 or 4800 vs. "auto" (auto modes will always perform slightly less efficiently).

BTW - I do not believe order of the channels/frequencies matters.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
My TRX-1 and TRX-2 still have issues receiving NXDN. I get the first 1-2 seconds of the transmission and then it drops off. DSD+ hears the entire transmission. I believe Whistler will get it right in the near future. I tried your suggestions troymail we PM'd about, nothing really helps. I'm not giving up on it though.

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
The system I am trying to monitor is NXDN 9600. It is a trunked system with voice channels of 460.100, 460.350, 463.125 and 464.300. The control channel changes every night between the last 3 channels. The system is very strong, antenna is about 100 yards behind my house. Had to turn gain down on sdr to prevent distortion. I have tried using the agc and atten settings on my TRX 1 and have even taken it across town to see if that helped. The system is not busy most of the time. Sometimes I will get some transmissions and it sounds great, but most of the time it gets nothing. Once in a while it will just stop on a channel and display info with silence. I have tried entering as conventional objects with leaving the current control out and I get the same results. I was sure I was doing something wrong, but now I am hopeful it will get better in the next update.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I feel your pain. It's such a disappointment after waiting so long for this upgrade. I also believe that NXDN will get better with future updates. DMR had it's issues early on and that was made so much better in time.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sibbley what type system are you having trouble with on my shared ST2 I am hearing a 8 site simulcast system it is not trunking but a 8 site 1 channel the sites are 15 to 45 miles and I am hearing them all solid is this a IP trunking system? I have one of those coming but not here yet.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
It's NXDN 9600. I don't know if it's an IP system. I can tell you there are times when DSD+ shows that a radio ID is accepted. When I get hits, the comms just drop out 1-2 seconds in. Same for our local PP&L electric company. When I get hits they just drop out. I get nothing on Norfolk Southern, but they may not be real busy in my area yet.

I tried programming Conway as trunked and conventional. Tried NXDN Auto, and NXDN 9600. Programed RAN as the DSD+ shown RAN 26 and Auto. Tried different squelch settings and different dwell settings. I was able to get enough info from the 1-2 second hits to program talk groups. I also use an ST2 antenna at home.

FCC Ref: ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked License - WNCA488 - CONWAY, ROBERT J: CONWAY, THOMAS, J

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I monitor a large multi site system in south Florida; it's a NXDN 4800 system (It's Highland Wireless, not yet in the RR database). Each site has between 1 and 8 frequencies. It seems that all the sites come in about equally well (or poorly), even though some are closer than others.

One of the sites is a "fill-in" site with only one frequency. It's the control channel, sending out a continuous data stream until someone transmits, then it becomes a voice channel until the conversation is over. Not too surprisingly, this site gives me almost no dropouts or missed replies. It doesn't have to scan any channels, it just sits on the one frequency.

Because this site is only one frequency, most of the fleets on the system are not permitted to affiliate on this site; it has only a couple of users. So it works well for the traffic on it, but it's no good for monitoring most users.

Status
Not open for further replies.