hearing lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have decided to install my scanner antenna in my attic, ( I have no choice )
what will be the lost in percentage of hearing capability if any to my scanner with a indoor scanner antenna

Thank you.

k8mcn

lots of variables
Are you presently using an outside antenna> or just a duck on the scanner?

How near or far are the things you want to listen to?

kh6idf

I'm getting pretty good results with a Comet GP-1 2m/70cm antenna in my attic. It doesn't seem to hurt the reception/transmission that much compared to being outdoors. One thing that helps is I'm using low-loss coax (Browning BR-400A) and have only about a 25-30 foot length.

DX949

Banned
k8mcn said:
lots of variables
Are you presently using an outside antenna> or just a duck on the scanner?

How near or far are the things you want to listen to?
I have a base scanner (BCD996T) and I am presently using my 2 meter 70 cm antenna
which is on my roof as a scanner antenna,I am scanning stuff from about 138 miles round.

DX949

Banned
kh6idf said:
I'm getting pretty good results with a Comet GP-1 2m/70cm antenna in my attic. It doesn't seem to hurt the reception/transmission that much compared to being outdoors. One thing that helps is I'm using low-loss coax (Browning BR-400A) and have only about a 25-30 foot length.
thank you for your reply and tips

k8mcn

va3hub said:
I have a base scanner (BCD996T) and I am presently using my 2 meter 70 cm antenna
which is on my roof as a scanner antenna,I am scanning stuff from about 138 miles round.
Stick it up in your attic temporally and see what happens--pretty cool that you are getting over 130 miles coverage with it outside--i cant do that well with a scantenna and lmr 400 @ 25 feet

kibbins

It can also depend on what type of roofing & insulation you have too (i.e. metal or foil). My antenna works better outside but it was an improvement over the stock antenna when I put it in the attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.