hearing NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
Question on listening to NXDN ( Rail Road ) . Can I listen to a Rail Road frequency, without programing as a NXDN station. If I can, will it sound any different if I program as a NXDN station. note: my 536 has the DMR programmed into the radio. Just haven't used it yet. thank you for your time

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Question on listening to NXDN ( Rail Road ) . Can I listen to a Rail Road frequency, without programing as a NXDN station. If I can, will it sound any different if I program as a NXDN station. note: my 536 has the DMR programmed into the radio. Just haven't used it yet. thank you for your time
If you look at the Railroad systems' in the master database for the 536HP (it's under the Nationwide Systems folder for any state/county), the default audio type is "Search". So, you would hear anything transmitted as analog or digital. Of course, if it really is using NXDN, you would have to have that upgrade to hear clear voice instead of digital noise. As far as I know, railroads are not using DMR, at least in my area. NXDN is not yet in widespread use, only in a few areas, or for some yard operations. As long as you have the NXDN upgrade, and the audio mode is set to 'search', you would hear whatever is transmitted, regardless of whther it's analog (not digital), or NXDN. You don't have to specify NXDN for that to happen.

vocoder

Depends. If it is bnsf, it might be nxdn. Especially in a yard or intermodal. Mainline tracks, no nxdn programming is needed.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Depends. If it is bnsf, it might be nxdn. Especially in a yard or intermodal. Mainline tracks, no nxdn programming is needed.
Yep
So far, only one channel using NXDN in my area. And that is indeed a BNSF intermodal yard near Alliance Airport north of Fort Worth. That is out of range for me in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.