• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

hello everyone, new here

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb3hjo

Hello,
I am new to this forum. My name is Pat, from PA. I am a HAM operator and in law enforcement. Anyway I have what is probably a stupid question. I have a Kenwood tk-272g radio. I was looking to get a new one, (we have to supply our own radios). It seems this radio is not made anymore. Does anyone know of any good replacement radios?
Thanks, Pat.

I am assuming that you are not using P25, or any other flavor of digital for work. I would look at the Kenwood TK-2180. I have several that I use for work, Ham, and several other things. Accessories, batteries are plentiful. The software Kenwood KPG-89D is user friendly and the radio will hold 512 channels.

kb3hjo

Thank you very much...I will look into your recommendations.
If anyone else has any favorites, I would love to know.

olderookie

Hello,
I am new to this forum. My name is Pat, from PA. I am a HAM operator and in law enforcement. Anyway I have what is probably a stupid question. I have a Kenwood tk-272g radio. I was looking to get a new one, (we have to supply our own radios). It seems this radio is not made anymore. Does anyone know of any good replacement radios?
Thanks, Pat.

I would say that the replacement for that radio would be a TK-2312. Our state bid prices is around $240.

I am LEO and Ham as well. I do agree with the recommendations above. Since Comms are so important in this job spent as much as you can to get as good a radio as you can. I have been looking at the TK-5220 which is a P-25 radio but high quality. The radio shop tech, who is a firefighter, uses one and he says they are very good radios. I have been told around $1000 out the door on the state system as well as our analogue.

Stay safe

kb3hjo

I just learned that our 911 dispatch system is going all digital in two years and the radios are very expensive. So, now I'm not sure what to do. Will a digital handheld work on an analog system? I don't believe an analog radio will work on a digital system.
Thanks for any ideas,
Pat.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I just learned that our 911 dispatch system is going all digital in two years and the radios are very expensive. So, now I'm not sure what to do. Will a digital handheld work on an analog system? I don't believe an analog radio will work on a digital system.
Thanks for any ideas,
Pat.

All digital radios out there now will support analog, so you are OK there. Analog will not work on a digital system.

However, if you are expected to supply your own radios, you really need to start asking some tough questions:

1. What do they mean by "911 dispatch system going digital"? Do they mean the radio system itself, or are they just talking about the radio consoles? Big difference.
2. If they are going to a digital radio system, you need to know WHICH digital system they are looking at. There are many different flavors of digital to choose from. Don't automatically assume it'll be P25.
3. If they are going digital and they still expect you to supply your own radios, there is a fresh new can of tasty worms being opened that needs to be addressed. I'd recommend talking to your union about this. Digital radios can be expensive.

Depending on what flavor digital they choose, and if it's trunked or not, you may not be able to program your own radios.

I'd hate to see you sink a money into a new radio only to have to replace it in a few years. I'd get those questions above answered before doing anything.

ffemt6488

Premium Subscriber
that is something you need to find out try getting in contact with the director of you dispatch they may be able to tell you

kb3hjo

Very good advice from all of you. I haven't bought anything yet. Still trying to figure out the correct direction to go. It's turning into a pain in the butt, because I keep getting different information from everyone I talk to. I'll have to dig deeper.
Thanks for all your comments,
Pat.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Very good advice from all of you. I haven't bought anything yet. Still trying to figure out the correct direction to go. It's turning into a pain in the butt, because I keep getting different information from everyone I talk to. I'll have to dig deeper.
Thanks for all your comments,
Pat.

Go to the top or to the person in charge of the communications for your county (or whatever group oversees it). They'll know. If you're "just asking around" all you're getting is rumor and speculation. If they require you to buy your own radios then they owe you that information so you can make an informed purchase decision.

The only reason I can see that you might be hearing different info legitimately is if they just haven't settled on what system to go with yet. When you say you heard the radios are "very expensive" my first thought is it's a P25 system but, on the other hand, "very expensive" is a relative term so we don't know if what you heard was $600 per radio or $3,000 or more. As mmckenna said, if it's a P25 trunking system you won't be able to program the radio yourself anyway because it'll require a system key and they'll have to provide the radios or sell them to you or something anyway...

Keep asking around and make sure it's the right people...you'll find your answer and then can move forward from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.