Hello From The Great White North!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3HQB

Good afternoon,

Im pretty new at this, in fact.. Im not even licensed yet, Iv done my research, and the call sign Iv chosen is NOT taken. I have had quite a bit of experience with radio theory, and some background in electronics, but nothing more then a few high school courses. Im also a pilot, and a soldier. So... My girlfriend and I attending a course held localy in Mississauga. We are going to take both the basis, and advanced courses, and get licensed respectively. I myself am also working on some Morse Code. So.. I hope to be up and running within the next few months.

As for equipment, Iv bought myself a Yaesu FT-60R. Its a great little handheld, TONS of feature to figure out. Most of which Im completely oblivious too. ARTS? EAI? WIRES? CTCSS? DCS? and more! So far, Im just using it as a scanner, to pick up the local police, and airport traffic. Iv also figured out how to use the NOAA stations, and program a couple Frequencies into memory.

If anyone can give us any pointers, or advice. thank you all!!

doublescan

Hello back

A pilot , also eh? I could probably tie you up for a couple of hours with questions! I've recently gotten back into scanning, no 2 way interests (yet, haha) Scanning the aviation frequencies is really my big interest right now. It's amazing how much you can learn from reading the posts on this forum-people here have years of experience at this stuff. I've learned a lot already, from finding the plans from various places on building your own antennas. So far I've built several ground planes, a couple of simple 3 element yagis, and yesterday , my first J-pole, all for scanner-listening. And yes, I have heard of Mississauga before!
Tony

nanZor

Welcome aboard!

Know that the ARTS, EAI, and WIRES are options not found on scanners - only on amateur handhelds.

Until that ticket comes in, you may want to investigate how to custom program the PTT LOCKOUT - #25 in the menu system. No need to have it slip in the car, or under the couch while at the same time keying the transmitter.

I think you'll really like the FT-60 for amateur and conventional analog scanning. As always, a better antenna is usually recommended - many threads here to investigate on that matter.

Have fun - but take a break if it gets frustrating - nobody I know masters their radio in a day. :)

VA3HQB

Thanks guys, Im doing some scanning while I study for my ticket. So far, this little HT has been great! As for the Antenna situation.. I live in Toronto, so there is an abundance of radio traffic, so I get quite good reception. But.. Ill still look into a better one, as the forums dictate. I will say, this little thing REALLY has great options, most of which Iv got time to learn. Ill be picking up a rig I can use in the shack an din the mobile.

Im a soldier, so I get a lot of time working with radios, and a LOT of opportunity to scan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.