Help Connect GPS to Home Patrol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCT

I am trying to figure out "how to" connect a gps to an HP1. I can't find it in the manual or searching this forum. I have a Garmin 1490.

Any help, links, or tips is certainly appreciated.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Garmin GPS

Sorry the automotive type gps units won't connect to HP-1. You need a gps with the nmea output feature or the gps-18pc style. (Hockey puck style)

GumbyCT

I guess the next question(s) is do you need just the puck or the whole gps?
And will I need an adapter or will these plug-in?
About how much are we talking to get the Homepatrol working w/gps?
TIA

After getting my hp-1 I decided I would try my old first generation Garmin Etrax handheld, I had the serial cable from my experiments with laptop mapping programs, ordered the hp-1 serial cable, fired up my Etrax plugged the cable in,the hp-1 tells me GPS connected and a green dot appears next to the GPS symbol on the screen.

Somewhere I have another Lowrance handheld with data cable I'll try that next.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to figure out "how to" connect a gps to an HP1. I can't find it in the manual or searching this forum. I have a Garmin 1490.

Any help, links, or tips is certainly appreciated.

The 1490 is in the FMI product family and can use the Argent GTRANS2 cable to convert the signal for Uniden scanners.

Read this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/un...den-scanner-gps.html?highlight=traffic+argent

There is also a GPS module if you want to build a receiver: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/273764-996xt-gps-receiver-antenna.html

Last edited:

GumbyCT

After getting my hp-1 I decided I would try my old first generation Garmin Etrax handheld, I had the serial cable from my experiments with laptop mapping programs, ordered the hp-1 serial cable, fired up my Etrax plugged the cable in,the hp-1 tells me GPS connected and a green dot appears next to the GPS symbol on the screen.

Somewhere I have another Lowrance handheld with data cable I'll try that next.
So how do you like it? The way it works?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is no standard for using USB to interconnect GPS devices. The GPS unit must output RS232 serial data. The electrical standard used on the scanner is RS232 serial. The jack itself is not a standard jack (but it has been used for both USB and serial devices...typically small cameras).

GumbyCT

There is no standard for using USB to interconnect GPS devices. The GPS unit must output RS232 serial data. The electrical standard used on the scanner is RS232 serial. The jack itself is not a standard jack (but it has been used for both USB and serial devices...typically small cameras).
I guess that means that a "USB>micro USB adapter" will not work.

What is the GPS jack on the HP1 called? What kind of jack is it that I am looking for?

GumbyCT

Do you have a GPS or is this more of a general question?
The GPS I have will NOT work for this applications so I am trying to get all the right parts the first go around w/o buying something that won't work and I can't use.

Edit: I found a GPS for a good price I thought would work but would need that USB adapter which it sounds like will NOT work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.