• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help Identifying Cobra 142 GTL Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bliynd

Hello everyone, my first post here. I've been playing with various CB radios for a while but this is the first CB I've ever had that's been modded. Picked up at auction for 10 bucks. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify what has been done to this and what the 5 switches do? Also added some yellow arrows in the pics to show circuits that have been cut (that I noticed) any help is much appreciated! If more pics are needed please let me know!! Thanks in advance!!

Cobra 142 GTL - Album on Imgur

K7MEM

The 142 GTL is a very easy rig to modify. Lots of space and easy to disassemble.

It appears that the mod is for extra channels. I have fixed some radios for friends and the modifications they come with are always for extra channels. I sometimes have to back them out to get the unit working again. Some are simple and others more elaborate.

Usually, when all of the switches are in a default position, the radio operates normally. However, with other switch settings, the selections on the channel switch map to a different set of channels. Many of those new channels are not legal CB channels.

The bank of four switches on the rear panel, are wired directly to the programming pins on the MB8719 PLL IC. The MB8719 is a very common PLL chip and is used in many different CB sets. For some detail on modifications using that chip, try going to PLL Frequency Mod Diagrams. Once there, do a search on "8719" and it will take you to a section on that IC.

If you do a google search on "MB8719 pll mods", you will get a bunch of hits on various mods. Here is a link to download a data cheet on the MB8719 PLL IC.

MB8719 Datasheet PDF - ETC

There may be other changes that you have not noticed yet. Like cut traces on the PCB. I hope you know how to read schematics because, to map out exactly what the changes you need to get a copy of the schematic and manual at Cobra 142GTL . Then refer to the mods on the mod sheet listed above, to figure out which one does what.

The single switch on one side is a bit of a puzzle yet, but unless I had the unit in front of me, it would be difficult to figure out. You have a better chance than I do.

Whether the mods are useful or not, is up to you. You might be better off removing them and put the radio back to it's original intent. Watch out for cut traces on the PCB.

Good Luck

Martin - K7MEM

Delta33

Hello everyone, my first post here. I've been playing with various CB radios for a while but this is the first CB I've ever had that's been modded. Picked up at auction for 10 bucks. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify what has been done to this and what the 5 switches do? Also added some yellow arrows in the pics to show circuits that have been cut (that I noticed) any help is much appreciated! If more pics are needed please let me know!! Thanks in advance!!

Cobra 142 GTL - Album on Imgur
The radios been modified and now Illegal ! Get rid of it, best option.

bliynd

Thank you very much, very helpful information. I'm confident I'll be able to sort it all out!! I'll post an update once I have some progress!!

poikaa

Ishpeming,Michigan... A Yooper! "In Da U.P.&q
Looking at the JPEGs, I would recommend removing any glue like material that is located to hold components in steady position. Some of this can be seen in the first pic, it is between the green capacitors. As this material ages it becomes hard and brown also it tends to become conductive causing shorts and false signalling or grounding. Worse yet is that this stuff can etch copper traces!
The lone switch appears to control the power to either the modulation circuit or the AM power itself. This would not be a good mod as it can shorten the life of several components and mainly the finals and driver.
Appears the power supply has a larger capacity filter cap, probably to allow more power to the AM regulator with the mods.

73 poikaa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.