Help needed: BC396T and LCRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcgrant

Hello - I have a new BC396T (with latest F/W) - when I select an LCRA group from the default load it does not find the control channel - I get a "Finding Ctrl Channel" message on the display screen - yet when I check the actual frequencies loaded they seem to be correct. Is there some setting that needs to be toggled? Thanks in advance.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello - I have a new BC396T (with latest F/W) - when I select an LCRA group from the default load it does not find the control channel - I get a "Finding Ctrl Channel" message on the display screen - yet when I check the actual frequencies loaded they seem to be correct. Is there some setting that needs to be toggled? Thanks in advance.
Be sure that you are selecting one of the LCRA sites closest to your area. Hit the 'Hold' key, and manually scroll through the selected system. If you're not hearing hearing the control channel (this will be a constant noise), then either the programming is set up wrong on that system, or more likely you may be too far away. Range, from the site, may be 15-20 miles, for fairly reliable reception. Any more than that will depend on terrain (hills between you & the site), whether you are on a hill, or down in a valley, is there a building, or some other structure, obstructing the signal.

Assuming that you are using software to program the scanner, or to at least look at the pre-loads, check the information for the tower sites closest to you in the database and verify that the LCRA system site you have selected is set up the same. EDACS system such as this must be set up with the frequencies in LCN order. You may also look at a better antenna, such as Radio Shack's 800Mhz antenna (this requires the use of the BNC to SMA adapter that comes with the 396.

Other than the above, I'll let somebody from your area make any additional suggestions. I'm way outside the range of any part of the LCRA system.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
If the frequencies are programmed correctly with the proper LCN, then did you set the system as a EDACS Wide or EDACS Narrow. LCRA is EDACS Standard Network (Wide) and most often this is the mistake made when programming it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If the frequencies are programmed correctly with the proper LCN, then did you set the system as a EDACS Wide or EDACS Narrow. LCRA is EDACS Standard Network (Wide) and most often this is the mistake made when programming it.
Lou,
He's using one of the pre-loads that came with the 396, from the way I read his question. However, I just pulled up the San Marcus LCRA system from the saved files (I kept the originals in a backup folder), and it was created by Uniden as EDACS Narrow, so there's the probable answer.

marc, try the attached file. I've edited the preload file with Notepad to convert it from EDACS Narrow to EDACS Wide as Lou is suggesting. Can't try it myself, way out of range.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I was unaware he was using the preload. And, yes, that was discussed a lot when the 396T. It was a mistake that Uniden made then and I guess they never corrected it in future preloads.

marcgrant

Thanks! I will give it a try. Which program does everyone recommend? Seems a zillion out there and nothing I've been impressed with (yet)...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I will give it a try. Which program does everyone recommend? Seems a zillion out there and nothing I've been impressed with (yet)...
On my 396T (as opposed to the newer 396XT), I primarily use Uniden's UASD software. However, as some of the systems on the DFW area are beginning the rebanding process, and UASD has not been updated to allow for entry of the band plan needed for the systems that have finished this process, I'll probably have to use FreeScan or ARC396 (I have the Pro version). For the 396XT, I'm using FreeScan.

As you are a premium subscriber, you can make use of web imports from the database. That's available with FreeScan, BCTool, ProScan, & ARC396. ARC396 is available in two versions, basic & Pro. The biggest difference is that the pro version allows for recording & logging that the basic does not. ProScan (I've never used it, but may try it for my 396XT) also allows for recording. BCTool & FreeScan have many of the same features, but are freeware, though donations are appreciated by the authors.

ARC396 & ProScan can be downloaded for a free trial period of about 30 days, before you have to discontinue use or buy the program. FreeScan, BCTool, & Uniden's UASD are free anyway (you cannot do imports from the database with UASD). I would recommend trying the free programs first, use them for at least a week or two, and see if BCTool or FreeScan will meet your needs. If neither one quite suit you, then do a trial of ARC and/or ProScan.

Status
Not open for further replies.