Help not completely working

Status
Not open for further replies.

diatonic

Hi all.. Just got in mail today a Uniden BCD325P2. and trying to setup for fire and EMS via FreeSCAN.
And yea I can't seem to figure it out. Spend about 4 hours checking each setting and all that. and It isn't picking anything up. And I know fire calls been getting broadcasted cause I'm using my phone app to listen to the local stream and hear all the calls. Just getting frustrated. Help.. please

diatonic

Welp. I got it kinda working. Just I noticed I am not getting all the conversations at times. Like one guy talks then a pause. The scanner goes on and scan. If a guy responds to that last message. it alot of times doesn't catch it. Or alot of times I miss stuff totally. :(

I'm currently using Program FreeSCAN 2.18-beta6.

diatonic

hi all,
Got a BCD325P2 for my dad for a XMAS present. I setup the scanner using FreeScan.
At times I can get info coming accross it then it just stops.. It is setup for P25 Phase II for Adams County, PA. Trying to figure out why it random at picking stuff up and then not picking stuff up.. Any help would be great. TY

diatonic

Uggg.. And course its not working right.. Anyone who Scans Adams County able to upload or send me their file. Or is able to help me figure out what I have programmed wrong. thanks.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As best as I can tell, this is a simulcast system. These things can need a little tweaking to get the best reception. It's a case where the scanner is receiving multiple towers and has trouble decoding the incoming data signal.

Try turning on site attenuation. That may or may not help, but is easy to try.

If that doesn't get you where you want to be, look at Mark's Easier to Read manual for this scanner. You'll be interested in Optimizing P25. Another thing I found to improve simulcast reception is to change P25 Threshold Level. This is trial and error to find the best fit.

Easier to Read BCD325P2 Digital Scanner Manual

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Usually less antenna works best. Find a VHF or UHF antenna or a amateur dual band antenna with a BNC connector, which helps reduce signals from more distant towers.

I use a Comet CH-32 dual band antenna and it really helps with the simulcast issues, and it is conveniently shorter, 1.75 inches.

I also had a BCD325P and it did not do well on simulcast systems. I moved up to the BCD436HP which is a lot better.

diatonic

Ok.. Just know I've been Messing with threshold and other P25 settings and squelch and just can't find that happy medium. I'll just have to keep Trying and tweaking. Hope I can figure the good setting.

diatonic

Adams County PA has their Trunks setup as East System and West System.
Should I setup my Scanner with East System Site and a West System Site.
Or would it be better to combine them together in 1 Site? Or should I just use the System site that is
Closest to me only?

teufler

i WOULD SET UP EAST AND wEST AS TWO different systems. Try to determine which site is better. As has been notied, Simulcast systems are pain in the butt to tweak.Some audio has been reported clearer changing your band plan editor to fm from nbfm, in the range that your trunking is on.. Like 849 to 868 from nbfm to fm. Strange but lerss antenna worksd better than more antenna on a simulcast system. Some have used a paperclip, some no antenna at all. Course what ever you do affects other systems.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes you should set the sites up as two different ones, as you have. Trying to combine them is problematic. The scanner will "latch" on to the first active control channel it finds and disregards any others.

Thus if you combine them, one will be ignored and you'll miss out even more.

What I would do if in your shoes is take the scanner close to a site, such as 1/4 mile away. If everything comes in clear, that confirms a simulcast distortion situation. With simulcast distortion, it takes some patience to come up with the right combination of settings.

Another thought would be to contact the provider of the feed you hear on your phone and see if they have some ideas. You could have a "quirky" system.

Status
Not open for further replies.