BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynes

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I purchased a BCD436HP recently. Tried to set it up using ZIP code. It programs my scanner for adjoining state 100 miles away as well as my state and national database.

When I try an adjoining ZIP code it gets closer, but I hear almost nothing on my local P25 network, except for one rescue squad dispatch. I can hear the state P25 network.

I realize I may need the Sentinel software to set this up, but I currently have no access to a Windows PC where I am administrator. Only a Mac. I can't install software on a work PC.

I find the manual confusing and not much help. It assumes a level of knowledge I don't have. The online manuals also do.

Any assistance I can get in setting this up before I can purchase a refurbished PC would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about Macs and how folks have worked around that challenge.

You'll definitely need to do some things, however including firmware update most likely. That may resolve your issue.

Please check the following link:

BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

waynes

Premium Subscriber
Range set at the default for ZIP code. I took it out with me in the car yesterday and got a lot better reception on the local channels. The state P25 system lets me here traffic for 300 miles. I guess I need to the the software and a computer to run it on, then start playing around a lot with it.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Default setting for range I think is 20 miles (or 40). Try dropping it to 5 to reduce scan times on services to far to listen to. I adjusted mine down from default 5 miles at a time until I get what is close to me.

waynes

Premium Subscriber
Today I took the scanner to a different location and listened for several hours. I set the range to 5 miles.
I continued to get coverage from the mountains to the ocean (300 miles) on the state system, but I cant hear my local system at all. It is in the database that loads, but no traffic at all. This is for a mid-sized city and two urban counties. I still can't work with the software without a Windows laptop. If anyone else knows something I should try I would appreciate it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps it is time to tell us what specific systems you are trying to monitor.

waynes

Premium Subscriber
Oh, sorry. I'm in Richmond, Va., trying to get the Richmond, Chesterfield, Henrico system.

Status
Not open for further replies.