Help scanning Pro 82

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicdoot

I just got a Pro 82 for my birthday. I wanted this model for the price and also that it had the orange touch buttons to hear frequencies. Well I push the buttons and don't hear anything. It seems to scan and there is some squelch but not much else. I know nothing about programming it, frequencies, etc. and my owner's manual from Radio Shack didn't help much. So any help would be great. I am in Fairfax, VA and mostly want to listen to fire, police and air/military.

N8IAA

Hate to be a bearer of bad news---your county is digital. PD, FD, and SO are P-25. So, unless you can get a digital scanner, you're out of luck. Especially the military and feds. More than likely, they will not only be digital, but encrypted as well. A good place to ask questions is in the Virginia forum on radio reference.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

CStarr59

nicdoot said:
This one isn't digital is it? The only ones I see on Radio shack are too much... $400+.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...+scanner&kw=digital+scanner&parentPage=search

No that one is not digital, it is a trunking scanner. You will need a Pro-96 digital scanner. Look on ebay and you could maybe save a good deal of money. It is a fairly advanced scanner for a beginner though. But with a little understanding and software to program it, it can give you good listening pleasure.

nicdoot

digital scanner

Thank you for the info. I might be returning this scanner to Radio Shack if it does me no good. With the digital scanner you have to get some soft of software? Can you tell me about that?

CStarr59

Well it's basically a program for your home computer that lets you easily program the frequencies into the scanner via a usb cable hooked between the scanner and the computer. It is simple stuff and way, way easier than trying to program the scanner by hand. Depending on the model of scanner you choose, thier is a matching software program sold to program it. The software usually has a 30 day free trial to see if you like it and then purchase it for future use and generally around $40.00 The usb cable is about $20 Both are well worth it to have. Just do a little research before you spend your money on a scanner, read reviews and such. It can be a big decision. The pro-96 is a solid performer and works well, just make sure it fits your needs before you purchase it.

nicdoot

Pro 96

Great info. Thanks!

I have been researching the Pro 96 and it seems like it will work well for me.

NWtoSFO

Your Pro-82 will still work quite well for general and commercial aviation and railroad traffic. I'm sure you'll also be able to pick up some outside FD's and PD's that use analog communication.

nicdoot

So far I haven't picked up much of anything. And I wanted it mostly for FD, Police and air/military and I have heard I need a digital scanner for that.

pogbobo

if you go to the Fairfax page in the DB at this link

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2848

it says they have a simulcast frequency for Fire Dispatch, its 460.5750

give that a shot in the mean time ... also, you can listen to GMU police, the community college police, and some other conventional stuff ...

but like they all said, the whole county is on a digital trunked radio system ... if you are after a cheaper Digital scanner check out eBay and the classified section of this forum for some good deals ...

good luck :)

nicdoot

I got a store credit for my Pro 82 (luckily I kept the receipt and the packaging) and won a bid on ebay this week for a Pro 96. I can't wait to try it out. I hope it's not too technical for me to figure out. As long as I can hear some things going on locally I will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.