Help with a Uniden BC296D

Status
Not open for further replies.

geosan1030

I just bought a BC296D on Ebay and was looking for some help.

First, it has the APCO 25 card installed and I'm trying to program it, but I can't seem to get anything. I'm looking to scan the Louisville Metro. I have posted there, but thought I might find some information here, because I think it's the settings on the scanner that are the problem and not the frequencies.

Second, how do I learn what firmware is installed and do I need to get the update that appears to be available at Uniden?

I haven't really kept up with the technology, but have successfully programmed a trunking system (DFW area) before, but this one seems beyond me and the manual really doesn't shed very much information.

Any help is appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If your trunk system has undergone rebanding (the database for Louisville metro says no), then it's likely you'll need a firmware upgrade at some point. Here is the place to pick up the latest firmware updates (which I would do anyway...)

BC296DFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

As I don't own a 296, can't help with the rest- sorry about that...Mike

DJ88

If, in fact, this system has been rebanded, no firmware upgrade is needed, as the 4th digit after the decimal point in all of the frequencies is a five. An upgrade is only needed if the 4th digit after the decimal in some or all of the frequencies in a rebanded system is a zero.

The system gets programmed as a Motorola Type 2 P25 800 System. Follow the steps in the Programming Trunk Systems section of the manual, page 49. If you don't have a manual, here's the on line manual:
http://www.uniden.com/content/ebiz/uniden/resources/ownersmanuals/BC296Dom.pdf

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If, in fact, this system has been rebanded, no firmware upgrade is needed, as the 4th digit after the decimal point in all of the frequencies is a five. An upgrade is only needed if the 4th digit after the decimal in some or all of the frequencies in a rebanded system is a zero.

True - however there's a much older firmware update that has to do with correcting a P25 card connection fault that should be included. As UPMan has stated many times that these firmware fixes are cumulative, I would expect that this update would also be in there.

best regards...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.