Help with choice of new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbartolu

Looking to get a new base scanner in the next few months, need it to monitor the new Somerset County trunk system. Since the system appears to be digital it seems like my only choices are the BC785D (with extra card) or the new BC796D. Any input? I reside in Hillsborough so I'll be monitoring the Somerset/Hunterdon/Mercer/Middlesex area in addition to Piscataway, S. Brunswick, E. Brunswick and NJSP trunks.

mikea7531

Feed Provider
Well, for the somerset county area, the following scanners will work with the new TRS:

BC785D w/ Digital Card
BC250D w/ Digital Card
BC796D
BC296D
Pro-96
Pro-2096

I have the 785D w/ digital card, the 796D, and the pro-96. I have not had any problems with monitoring the county system, i live just north of the franklin twp. boarder. However, if the county decideds to use the 470Mhz frequencies on the TRS as well, then that will introduce a 4th base/offset/step setting for the scanner. The unidens will only do 3, while the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 will do up to 5.

For a handheld, i'd recommend the Pro-96
For a desktop, if you can wait, i'd go for the Pro-2096, if not, the 785D and the 796D will be sufficent.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

brucefans

Somerset County will have the ability to be digital however
almost all comm's will be analog at this time.

Prosector's Office: Digital and thats about it.

rbartolu

If that's the case (that the system will be mostly analog at this time), how do I program this into my Pro-2053? Does that model have the ability to do multiple base/offset pairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.