help with coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOLEBILLY

I bought a 100 foot of Times with a N connecter on one end and a BNC on the other. These were put on from factory and the only traffic I can receive on my scanner is the weather 162.400. Anybody have a clue to what is the problem? Thank you

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Do you have an ohmmeter?

If so, check for continuity between the center pins of each connector and the outer ring of each connector. There should be very low resistance. Then make sure there is no short circuit between the outer ring and inner pin.

If that's all OK, then check the antenna... (What are you using for an antenna and scanner)?

HOLEBILLY

I have tried 4 different antennas with same results. Pro 197 and 106 for scanner. All 4 antennas work great with different coax so Im sure it is the coax. Did check it with a meter and it checked out all ok. Could it be a bad bnc connector? It does look like maybe the center pin wire does not come up out of the center ring very far, just wondering if this is making contact in the bnc connector. Just a thought I cant figure this one out.

bharvey2

I have tried 4 different antennas with same results. Pro 197 and 106 for scanner. All 4 antennas work great with different coax so Im sure it is the coax. Did check it with a meter and it checked out all ok. Could it be a bad bnc connector? It does look like maybe the center pin wire does not come up out of the center ring very far, just wondering if this is making contact in the bnc connector. Just a thought I cant figure this one out.

I've seen that before with crimp-on BNC connectors. The center pin doesn't protrude far enough to mate with its female counterpart. I've made the same mistake myself. Just for fun, try using some clip leads and establishing conductor connections between the BNC and the scanner. I'll bet you start getting signal (although possibly noisy)

Status
Not open for further replies.