Help with Conway FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
All APX's are TDMA capable. Its all in the set up in the CPS and System Controller as to how they strapped the TGs.

ThomasB3131

All APX's are TDMA capable. Its all in the set up in the CPS and System Controller as to how they strapped the TGs.
Ok, So as of right now the CWIN is in kind of a transition stage? There are a couple guys I know on the department that said when they updated to this system the only radios that were switched out were the mobile radios, so they were using the 7000's on the old system as well.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Looks like basically its a matter of doing it piecemeal instead of all in one go. They got HT's for FD, then did not get mobiles set up til the switch etc.... As I stated, the system is in Dynamic Dual Mode until ALL users of the system have TDMA capabilities, and the System Admins flip the switch. Dynamic Dual Mode is pretty much only good for transitioning from FDMA, to TDMA usage as it is not efficient use of the spectrum. When you run TDMA you have double the talk capability of FDMA. So if the system is in use by an FDMA user, it cuts the capability in half until the FDMA is gone.

ThomasB3131

Looks like basically its a matter of doing it piecemeal instead of all in one go. They got HT's for FD, then did not get mobiles set up til the switch etc.... As I stated, the system is in Dynamic Dual Mode until ALL users of the system have TDMA capabilities, and the System Admins flip the switch. Dynamic Dual Mode is pretty much only good for transitioning from FDMA, to TDMA usage as it is not efficient use of the spectrum. When you run TDMA you have double the talk capability of FDMA. So if the system is in use by an FDMA user, it cuts the capability in half until the FDMA is gone.
Yeah it's weird though that they use Motorola for the FD and all Harris radios for the PD. I also noticed that on 3/22/19 they shut the entire system down for radio maintenance from about 6:00-9:00 pm. They moved all fire department operations to MAC 3 on the AWIN. I don't know if that was part of the update process or a system malfunction.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
CWIN is in DDM until ALL the radios on the system are fully TDMA capable, and the System Admins decide that its time to flip that switch to TDMA only which is far more efficient use of the spectrum.

Yes. So, as I said...P2 isn’t an issue right now.

STROKEHER2ICE

Premium Subscriber
ARPILOT ........I apologize in advance if this has been discussed, I did try searching through the Arkansas AWIN threads and didn't find an answer. I'm using a Pro-96 scanner and the WIN96 programming software to program the scanner. I absolutely can not figure out what happened with Conway FD or UCA PD for that matter. I noticed there is something called Conway Wireless Info Network and I've downloaded it into my Pro96. I get a little static on site001 for Conway Fire like someone is transmitting, but all I get is static. Does anyone have a solution for this? I would really appreciate any help one could provide.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I also have a pro-96 and im using win96, but im having trouble programming it period. Im a newby.....Please help. TIA

wbswetnam

It could be that your Pro-96 scanner is the problem. Mine was dying when I sold it cheap at a hamfest three years ago. It had gone almost completely deaf on 800 MHz.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Open it.. Adjust the three pot screws carefully... Long live the 96 til TDMA or 700 lol.

weather4ar

One of the conditions of the RFP for the CWIN system is that it not only be Phase 2 capable for AWIN, but also be capable of supporting legacy systems, including the Faulkner County VFD NFM dispatch systems. I scan that system every day with a Pro-2096 with no problem, or technical adjustment. I wouldn't expect the DDM status to change, at least as long as the County keeps its legacy systems.

Only if it is set to operate in Dynamic Dual Mode. If it is set to Phase II operation only then only TDMA will be allowed. Also, this can be set to individual sites on a system. AWIN will have the first test sites set to Dynamic Dual Mode and the rest FDMA ONLY until initial testing is done, then the whole system will go DDM. Then after a period of this, FDMA will be discontinued with very few special exceptions. CWIN is in DDM until ALL the radios on the system are fully TDMA capable, and the System Admins decide that its time to flip that switch to TDMA only which is far more efficient use of the spectrum.

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Operation in DDM has nothing to do with conventional systems at all. Its purely dependent on what radios are using the TRS. If there are NO FDMA radios using the system then there will only be TDMA on the system. As long as there are still radios that use FDMA then the system will use FDMA until an TDMA radio goes active, and remains TDMA until those radios are not actively using the TG. Once an FDMA radio uses the TG it will go FDMA again. The only thing that has to do with the conventional is the ability to either have patches, or have radios that can do both the TRS and the conventional. Such as the APXes can do.

arpilot

Open it.. Adjust the three pot screws carefully... Long live the 96 til TDMA or 700 lol.
Can you be more specific? What are the parts screws? How would one go about doing this specifically? And furthermore, what does this do?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
From a thread back in 2010:

"Hey everyone, so I wanted to follow up on this post, since everyone was so helpfull(thanks again), and it has lots of good information in it for others with a Pro-96's or similar scanners, but I've been busy with other things, and didn't get around to editing the picture I will add below...

After reading, changing configs, uploading, doing software updates, and everything mentioned/suggested in this post, short of sending it back to RS, I decided to try "tinkering" with some things inside, mainly the 3 small "dials" or whatever you wanna call them, as I have highlighted in Red in the picture..I read in a post somewhere for another RS scanner, that those would fine tune it somehow..at the time I didnt pay much attention to it, as it was for a different model, and I didnt have it open at the time to compare, so I don't have a link, which is bothering me now lol..

So, I opened it up, then plugged it back in, positioning it so I could see the screen as well as turn the small dials/screws easily, turned it on, and manually tuned it to the controi channel for the Halifax Tower(Geizers Hill) so it displayed the % for recieved signal(which hovered at the 12-20% range before this process), then took a small Phillips head screwdriver and put it on the bottom dial (VR4), and began to delicatly turn it a small amount counter clockwise, and sure enough, as I turned the dial/screw, my % started to climb, I turned it about 1/4 of a turn total, maybe a bit more, in the end, I was able to get it to read the control channel at 75-90% consistantly...

So, I decide to hit the scan button, and sure eneough, Clean, Clear, like the day I bought it in Texas listening to Houston PD, it works...no more garbling, or digital noise, or anything, just clear audio on all the channels I was trying to scan..I'm pretty sure my pants moved at that point :p Anyways, I dont know what exactly I did there, but it sure as hell made a big difference.

It would be cool if someone who know's more could explain how what I did works, it was a simple fix, that anyone could do who is comfortable with opening the case..and would be great to share.

Here's the link to the picture, its to large to upload, but I wanted to make it clear for others to see:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bze_Yj7bbgaGNTBmZjA4NjItYjU1Ny00MTQ4LThkZDUtYmI2ZTgyZDJiMWI4&hl=en

If you click on the image again once it opens, you will get a full window pic, much easier to see :)"

arpilot

From a thread back in 2010:

"Hey everyone, so I wanted to follow up on this post, since everyone was so helpfull(thanks again), and it has lots of good information in it for others with a Pro-96's or similar scanners, but I've been busy with other things, and didn't get around to editing the picture I will add below...

After reading, changing configs, uploading, doing software updates, and everything mentioned/suggested in this post, short of sending it back to RS, I decided to try "tinkering" with some things inside, mainly the 3 small "dials" or whatever you wanna call them, as I have highlighted in Red in the picture..I read in a post somewhere for another RS scanner, that those would fine tune it somehow..at the time I didnt pay much attention to it, as it was for a different model, and I didnt have it open at the time to compare, so I don't have a link, which is bothering me now lol..

So, I opened it up, then plugged it back in, positioning it so I could see the screen as well as turn the small dials/screws easily, turned it on, and manually tuned it to the controi channel for the Halifax Tower(Geizers Hill) so it displayed the % for recieved signal(which hovered at the 12-20% range before this process), then took a small Phillips head screwdriver and put it on the bottom dial (VR4), and began to delicatly turn it a small amount counter clockwise, and sure enough, as I turned the dial/screw, my % started to climb, I turned it about 1/4 of a turn total, maybe a bit more, in the end, I was able to get it to read the control channel at 75-90% consistantly...

So, I decide to hit the scan button, and sure eneough, Clean, Clear, like the day I bought it in Texas listening to Houston PD, it works...no more garbling, or digital noise, or anything, just clear audio on all the channels I was trying to scan..I'm pretty sure my pants moved at that point :p Anyways, I dont know what exactly I did there, but it sure as hell made a big difference.

It would be cool if someone who know's more could explain how what I did works, it was a simple fix, that anyone could do who is comfortable with opening the case..and would be great to share.

Here's the link to the picture, its to large to upload, but I wanted to make it clear for others to see:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bze_Yj7bbgaGNTBmZjA4NjItYjU1Ny00MTQ4LThkZDUtYmI2ZTgyZDJiMWI4&hl=en

If you click on the image again once it opens, you will get a full window pic, much easier to see :)"
The link that you posted doesn’t go through. It just says the link that you click on we can’t find the URL or something like that. So there’s no picture. I would appreciated if you could find that that sounds most interesting.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Again, be VERY CAREFUL when you do the turns as you CAN break the soft containment that holds the screw, destroying part of the connection and killing any chance of EVER hearing a P25 simulcast again. It will still work on P25, but NOT on simulcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.