Help with identifying tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucegrahamjr

I am trying to figure out these tones to program into my pager for work. What is strange to me is that there is a lot of white noise associated with the first set of tones. I have correctly identified the second set but after analyzing the first set of tones and programming them into my pager it will not activate for them. Is anyone familiar with why the tones have so much white noise? (note: this is not a result of poor signal on the receiving device, they always sound this way.)

https://files.me.com/brucegrahamjr/fur35u.mp3

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Are you sure it's white noise and not DCS or some other sort of digital signal accompanying the tones?

Last edited:

fineshot1

Not sure as I have never heard that kind of distortion during tone transmition.

Do you have sirens activated by tone? If so is that possibly for the siren or some
other device activation? Perhaps the device that decodes those tones filters out
the distortion and properly decodes the tones.

Just a suggestion.....happy holidays & good luck with your research.

brucegrahamjr

The first set of tones is the BLS tones for Linwood, the second set is the paramedic tones. The Linwood EMS pager tones are the original tones in use before Atlanticare took over BLS for the town. When Atlanticare took over EMS in Linwood and Northfield, they decided to continue to use the current pager tones in place. There is no siren. The tones are supposed to be simulcasted over both our VHF and our 800mhz channels. The same dispatch center, Atlanticare MEDCOM, sends the tones out so its strange to me that the Linwood tones sounds that way while the medic tones are clear.

brucegrahamjr

I also used Audacity to analyze the tones. I came up with the same ones, however after programming them into a pager the pager will not activate. It's as if the tones are too noisy for the pager to recognize them.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
The first set of tones sounds definitely sounds digital to me. What you call 'white noise' actually sounds like the old modem chatter you heard when you picked up the phone while someone was on the computer back in the day.

I didn't know anyone used digital pagers though. That's the first I've ever heard it..

talkpair

The tones are supposed to be simulcasted over both our VHF and our 800mhz channels

Are you picking this noise up on the original transmitter, or on one of these simulcast channels?

It really sounds to me like there's an analog to digital then a digital to analog conversion somewhere behind the tone encoder........as if the levels were never set correctly, and the low tones 'clip' the encoder.

Back when I carried a tone pager, it seemed to activate under some very noisy/weak conditions.
Maybe the older reed-type pagers just worked better under those conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.