Help with Las Vegas area UHF repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6ZNS

I live in San Diego and have a daughter attending UNLV. My daughter occasionally has withdrawal symptoms due lack of having a radio while she is at school. I am wanting to write a code plug for a CS700 radio to cover the Las Vegas area and south on the I15. The radio is UHF only, and is analog and DMR capable. I would like to find out which repeaters provide the best coverage of the areas and are open and friendly. I don’t like to program closed/private repeaters into my radios, unless I have permission to do so. Can someone please provide a list of open/friendly repeaters that I can program into this radio? I have quite a list of available repeaters in the area, but I'm not sure which I should program in. I would like to have this radio ready for her when she comes home over the Valentines Day weekend. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and 73,

Tim
W6TGM

n4njj

Sin City Repeater Network
Tim, there are quite a few of DMR machines in Vegas. Check out the Brandmeister website for specific info on talkgroups. You will want to include KB6XN Potosi repeater (that covers from state line and the valley) and NX7R's Red Mountain repeaters.

For UHF repeaters, there is 448.875 MHz (114.8) K7RSW and my repeater on 420.850 MHz (107.2 PL). Both are mixed-mode P25/AllStar link repeaters so you will want make sure that you program encode AND decode.

Aside from those machines that blanket UNLV, the ham bands are relatively quiet... with the exception of the WIN System... but I never recommend that machine to anyone. Too many hecklers and goofballs on it. They tend to shut it down a lot because of it. It's a real shame. There are some other machines, but they tend to cover neighborhoods and that's about it. They wouldn't do too great at UNLV.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Try Repeaterbook, or if your budget can stand it, get a RFinder Android radio.

KJ6ZNS

N4NJJ - Thank you very much, this is exactly the type of information I am looking for, repeaters with good coverage (and preferably Brandmeister, I like the openness) . If you have ever programmed a CS700 you would understand that I don't want to spend a bunch of time entering little used, low coverage or offline repeaters.

I have checked Repeater Book and the online club information for the area, there are a lot of repeaters and I don't want to program them all.

And for those asking, yes, she has a general class license. It would not be a smart idea to ask about programming a radio for use by a non licensed person and then posting my call online (knock, knock, we are from the government and we are here to help)

If anyone else has suggestions, my ears are open.

Tim
W6TGM

skykid702

KC7ZIE
Premium Subscriber
I used the 146.88 machine here in Vegas, I also am on D-Star as well.

I know a few of the IRLP and Allstar systems are linked into SoCal

Status
Not open for further replies.