• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with Motorola Spectra error

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG434

Hello,

I have a Motorola Spectra A5 radio with an A7 control head. When I connect my programming cable to the radio and power it on the display reads FAIL 003 and sounds a constant tone.

The list of Spectra error codes says: EEPROM data does not match control head configuration; Change control head configuration to match radio and reprogram

I do not have an A5 control head to exchange for the A7. Any suggestions how to work around the error so the radio can be reprogrammed for my local repeater?

Thank you,
GG434

cmdrwill

The fact that you are using an A7 head on an A5 radio, or visa versa, would NOT cause the error.

Most likely corrupted codeplug, data, in the radio.

K

kb0nly

Your going to have to bit bang the radio to change the control head type. Then read the radio and make a few changes to the modes and write it back and you should clear that error up.

K

kb0nly

The fact that you are using an A7 head on an A5 radio, or visa versa, would NOT cause the error.

Most likely corrupted codeplug, data, in the radio.

Uhh, yes it does, see it all the time putting together complete radios from piles of misc parts obtained. The programming in the radio has to match the control head being connected otherwise you get that error.

Simple to fix with LAB and bit bang it for the new control head though.

cmdrwill

I have to disagree with you. The OP has an A5 radio and A7 head. That will NOT cause the error If the radio IS an A5.......

The radio may be a setup for a different control head in the MLM.

jim202

I have to disagree with you. The OP has an A5 radio and A7 head. That will NOT cause the error If the radio IS an A5.......

The radio may be a setup for a different control head in the MLM.

Yup, that's what was said. You need to bit bang the radio to correct the different head. Once your done doing that, then see what is going on.

Take a trip through the site Batwing Laboratories and go into the radio section to find the Spectra mobile. There is a wealth of info there and even some good site to take a peek at.

The Spectra is a hard radio to kill. It is very flexible and can be made do many different things. There are a ton of parts and things around for these radios. You just need to make sure your radio is capable of the frequency range your looking to put it on. Then there are those that have moved them into other ranges.

gary123

This type of issue is common with "Franken" radios. It cant be overemphasised make sure that ALL parameters match. Often a Franken radio may operate fine but show its true state whan programmed. Ebay is full of such radios, Great buys but potential headaches when being reprogrammed.

CCHLLM

GG434,
I'm not far from you, and I have some Spectra parts, so PM me and I'll see what I can do to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.