• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Help with Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
I'm new to all this and am looking to purchase a scanner for the holidays. Below are some of the things i am looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Looking to Scan Carroll County Fire/Rescue, Carroll County Sherriffs dept, Maryland State Police, Howard County Police/Fire/Rescue, and any airport frequencies when near enough. Maryland Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Dont know if you can do this, but would like to be able to discriminate what i hear to specific talk groups and channels on a trunked system.

Like to be able to scan a single talk group, or all frequencies i want, depending on what i want.

Color backlight would be nice to hear what im listening to, but not entirely neccesary

Ability to scan common frequencies when traveling to pick up radio traffic

Also hear citizen 2-way radio brodcasts

Computer programmable

Easy to use

Inexpensive, Under $500

Portable

as i said, im new to this, so if there is anything else you think i may need, let me know

mciupa

DB Administrator
Hello Cole_Holocker,welcome to RadioReference :)

Have you read up on Uniden's HomePatrol-1 ?

At just under $500, this may be what you are looking for.

scanchs

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference!

Hi Cole_Holocker,

I'd like to second mciupa's suggestion regarding the Uniden HomePatrol-1. I recently picked one up myself, and it is an excellent scanner. It is especially good for a noob, because you can take it out of the box and be scanning in a matter of minutes instead of hours (or days for some folks). I highly recommend it! :cool:

ScanCHS

Questions

Thanks for the feedback. I like the homepatrol1. Does it allow you to input your own frequencies, though. Also, Is it possible on any scanner to just switch channels in a trunked system, so listen to only TG5 on Carroll County Trunked?

Status
Not open for further replies.