Help with NYPD database abbreviations

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

I'm programming my scanner with NYPD freqs and in the database I don't understand the following abbreviations:

This is from the Manhattan North section in the database.
Manhattan North

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description
476.38750 WIF576 R 151.4 PL 5 Precincts 19, 23
476.31250 WIF539 R 167.9 PL 6 Precincts 20, CPP, 24
476.63750 WIF537 R 186.2 PL 7 Precincts 25, 28, 32
476.36250 WIF538 R 100.0 PL 8 Precincts 26, 30
476.88750 WIF541 R 110.9 PL 9 Precincts 33, 34
471.06250 WIF568 R 110.9 PL PBMN
482.71250 WIM479 R 123.0 PL MN IO

What does the CPP, PBMN, MN IO mean, Manhattan North IO ? What's IO? could you help me out here? Thanks.

What are the last 2 freqs of every set of freqs in the database? the PB** and the ** IO ? Where ** is the borough.

thillery

MN is short for Manhattan North, but I've seen it used for Midtown North as well. IO is usually used to identify the interoperability freqs. PBMN is Patro Boro Manhattan North. Not herad CPP, but it could be Crime Prevention. Check out the NYPD official website - they have precinct maps and major commands listed.

SCANdal

Silent Key
CPP = 22 Precinct, commonly called the Central Park Precinct

xpawel15x said:
What are the last 2 freqs of every set of freqs in the database? the PB** and the ** IO ? Where ** is the borough.

The Boroughwide channels (PBMn - Manhattan, PBBx - Bronx, PBBs - Brooklyn, PBQs - Queens, and PBSI - Staten Island) are extended car-to-car channels. When a unit wants to talk directly to another unit (something that is not supposed to take place on a channel with a dispatcher ("Central') on it, as all transmissions are supposed to be made through "Central") and is too far away from that unit to use any of the simplex TAC channels, they have the option of moving their conversation to the appropriate Boroughwide channel. This will often be indicated on the Zone channel by one unit asking another to "Go Up" (move from channel x up to channel y, the PB__ channel, on the radio's channel selector switch). The Boroughwides can also be activated to run an event that is contained wholly within one patrol borough (i.e. Shea Stadium Detail, in baseball seasons past, was on the PBQs channel - we'll see opening day where they are this year). Events extending out of one patrol borough (i.e. Marathon, St. Patrick's Day Parade) are run on one of the Citywide (CW1 or CW2) channels.

To expand of hillary's explaination of the IO channels...They are indeed the Interoperability channels, designed to be used primarily to link together the fire and police departments. Because the procedure to activate and use the channels is so cumbersome, they rarely are used for the intended purpose and instead have become just another extended car-to-car channel for the police.

SCANdal

Last edited:

xpawel15x

For some reason, I only receive the dispatcher on the PBMN and PBMS channels... I can receive all Manhattan Precinct freqs just fine. Any idea why this is so?

And also last time I was in NYC I saw darker blue or black NYPD chevy impalas with "Traffic" on them. Are these units operating on regular Manhattan precinct frequencies? What about the transit/subway units down underneath NYC ?

What does words like Adam and others mean when a unit is calling?

Last edited:

comspec

The Dark Blue cars (Traffic, School Safety) have their own frequencies and do not operate on the Pct frequencies. Traffic and school safety frequncies are in the database, but perssonally I don't think you will find them interesting, but hey you never know.

Adam, Boy, Charlie etc. are just NYPD's version of the phonetic alphabet. In addition to hearing them with Unit numbers you will hear them anytime they spell out phonetically like plates and/or names.

At the PCT Level they signify the sector of the pct. "13-ADAM" = 13th PCT sector A. On some rare occasions there may be more than one car assigned to a sector. 13-Adam-2 for example, but that is rare.

ESU is similar except the Alpha comes before the district ADAM-1, BOY-1 for Manhattan South ESU.

Hope this helps.

Who is this "Roger" guy they keep talking about :)

Last edited:

SCANdal

Silent Key
xpawel15x said:
For some reason, I only receive the dispatcher on the PBMN and PBMS channels... I can receive all Manhattan Precinct freqs just fine. Any idea why this is so?

I should have offered this sooner. For all of your New York City questions... www.n2nov.net Specifically, go to the bottom of the NYPD section at http://www.n2nov.net/nypd_ems.html for the School Safety and Parking Enforcement channels.

I am not sure what you are hearing. There are no dedicated dispatchers on the Boroughwides. There are only five Boroughwides:

Manhattan: 471.0625R (110.9)
Bronx: 471.0375R (123.0)
Brooklyn: 470.9875R (136.5)
Queens: 470.9375R (167.9)
Staten Island: 482.4125R (100.0)

Regarding the NYCPD's Transit Bureau... visit http://www.n2nov.net/transit.html

SCANdal

Last edited:

comspec

SCANdal said:

I am not sure what you are hearing. There are no dedicated dispatchers on the Boroughwides. There are only five Boroughwides:

He could be hearing simulcasts of the Mobilizations, 10-13s 10-30 etc. that are broadcasts out to all the specialized citywide frequencies like Detectives, Intel etc.

I am not sure however as I usually don't keep Patrol Borough Frequencies unlocked.

xpawel15x

One more question for you NYPD guys, I don't want to open up a whole new thread for this...
What channels do the NYPD helicopters operate on? I heard Aviation 50 on the SOD channel today, wondering what other channels they usually work on. Thanks.

ff026

Feed Provider
they are actually MultiCast of the "main land" citywide channels. simulcast would be multiple transmitters same frequencies.

comspec

ff026 said:
they are actually MultiCast of the "main land" citywide channels. simulcast would be multiple transmitters same frequencies.

Really??? They why do broadcast stations call it a simulcast when they send the same programming over different frequencies?

I have only seen the term "Multicast" applied to TCP/IP streams. If you have a source to cite as a reference I would be interested in reading up on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.