Help with phased array of patch antennas, suck at math!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwgast

So I want to make a higher gain antenna for EME and satcom. I dont really want to go the dish route at the movement. I went out and got like 50 1-3ghz 10 watt RF relays so I can do antenna switching and diversity I can scan S strengths and RSSI numbers from SDRs, and receivers, then choose the best antenna for the application.

I am having a heck of time figuring out phased arrays though, I just want to mount a bunch of patch antennas facing the same direction on a huge ground plane. I know they need to be a half wavelength apart, but what I dont understand is if all the feeders are the 1/4 wavelength will I get additive gain? What if I wanted to do a 6 patch array with the center phased normal and the 5 around the center phased at 9 degrees to cancel any side lobes? I think I a am really overly simplifying this, is there software to help with patch arrays that doesn't depend on microstrip feeds?

RFI-EMI-GUY

If you aredoing this for receiving only, dont use relays, use preamps for each element and sum them. Turn off preamps as required. Better yet use electronic phase shifters after each preamp and sum maximal gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.