Help with Purchasing a New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerF18

Hello all, I currently own a Icom R5 with a SRH-77CA antenna. I love that it has the Wideband reception(.150-1309 MHz). What would be a good comparable newer scanner and antenna to take its place? I listen to mostly MILAIR, Civil Aviation(local airports) and i take it to AIRSHOWS. Love the R5, still works great but really want something with a little more ease of programming, preferable a keypad would be nice and obviously I would hope the newer scanner would be stronger and pull freqs in stronger. Hope that all makes sense....let me know.

Thanks,
Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChargerF18

Hello again, I also would like to possibly listen to my local FD and PD but they have since transitioned to digital and obviously my r5 cannot do that. Sorry that I didn't put this in my first post. Thanks

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
My recommendation would be a BCD396XT or a BCD436HP.

If you travel a lot the BCD436HP is programmed with the entire USA and Canada database and is state of the art.

You can still use your SRH-77CA antenna but a Radio Shack / Remtronix 800 MHz. antenna may perform better for the public safety stuff.

safetyobc

I would keep the Diamond antenna. I am not aware of any other wideband scanners (recievers) that are still being produced. But if you want an scanner that does well with aircraft, the BC125AT receives very well in airband! Or I would look at the BCD436HP but it isn't as sensitive in the airbands, IMO but does great with 800MHz. Good luck.

N8IAA

I'm going to suggest an alternate, the WS1040. This will do the Phase I p-25 that your county is using, along with airshow frequencies.
But, the 396XT is another good scanner.
Larry

ChargerF18

What is the best Airband scanner....I have had good luck with my Icom and don't want to downgrade. Looked the BCD436 and like the easy of programming and all the built in features, but will it benefit me for the Air Traffic I listen to mostly?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
but will it benefit me for the Air Traffic I listen to mostly?

If you just want to monitor air traffic, save your money and just get the Uniden BC125AT. The "AT" I believe stands for Air traffic. It's definitely a workhorse for civil aviation! I love mine. I use it exclusively for aviation monitoring.

Nasby

I agree with Pinball. The 125AT is an extremely sensitive receiver on the airband.

It has a wonderful display and is very easy to program. The programming software and cable is included.

If you get the BCD436HP I fear you will be disappointed in it's airband performance as its main strength is in the 700-800 Mhz digital trunking spectrum.

ChargerF18

I agree with Pinball. The 125AT is an extremely sensitive receiver on the airband.

It has a wonderful display and is very easy to program. The programming software and cable is included.

If you get the BCD436HP I fear you will be disappointed in it's airband performance as its main strength is in the 700-800 Mhz digital trunking spectrum.

One question, a friend of mine has the BC125 I believe and he said that he can't pick anything up in the high 300mhz range because the scanner doesn't support that high, and there are a lot of air to air frequencies that are in that range...... my Icom covers everything and that is a very nice feature.

I have heard wonderful things about the BC125AT and have thought about it, but the other thing is he BC125, is t digital either, correct? All of my local police and Fire have switched over to digital....

Frustrating, just wish there was one scanner that was good at everything!! LOL

Last edited:

milcom_chaser

I would get the 396XT.

It will decode the Phase I system that you described, and moreover, it does fantastic
on the Mil-Air bands! It has 10 user programmable search banks that you can set-up, including search step size and mode (modulation). Stay away from the 125AT. Why? It only has two batteries, and the top end of
the Mil-Band is clipped: 380.00-400.00Mhz. That part of the band went to LMR (Land Mobile Radio), but there is still a lot of use in that segment of the band including airshows.

-Lance

Nasby

One question, a friend of mine has the BC125 I believe and he said that he can't pick anything up in the high 300mhz range because the scanner doesn't support that high, and there are a lot of air to air frequencies that are in that range...... my Icom covers everything and that is a very nice feature.

I have heard wonderful things about the BC125AT and have thought about it, but the other thing is he BC125, is t digital either, correct? All of my local police and Fire have switched over to digital....

Frustrating, just wish there was one scanner that was good at everything!! LOL

If you want digital along with air, the 125AT won't be a good choice.

ChargerF18

Here is a question for you all....if I purchased a collapsing J-pole or something like that and bought the 396XT or a comparable scanner would that help with the Air freqs? Also would a collapsible J-pole or comparable antenna help me right now with my icom r5? Because right now I get my best reception obviously outside but because it's cold now in Wisconsin...I will be in doors and the best reception I get is on my kitchen table or as I high as I can get it on my kitchen cupboards and shelves.

Soundman

BCD436 is very easy to program all you have to do is put in a zip code and you are set also all the programing is with the uniden datebase . So all your air shows will be updated when thy need to . This is a A+++ scanner .

N8IAA

Here is a question for you all....if I purchased a collapsing J-pole or something like that and bought the 396XT or a comparable scanner would that help with the Air freqs? Also would a collapsible J-pole or comparable antenna help me right now with my icom r5? Because right now I get my best reception obviously outside but because it's cold now in Wisconsin...I will be in doors and the best reception I get is on my kitchen table or as I high as I can get it on my kitchen cupboards and shelves.

That would work great for the scanner, or the R5. J-poles make great receiving antennas.
PM me for better info.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.