help with radio shack pro 92 ac adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

I recently purchased an AC adapter for my old pro 92 and Ive noticed not as good reception as when I use the DC mode 6 batteries, the salesman at RS sold me the 9V 300mA adapter, he said as long as it powers up its correct, however,I immediately noticed a drop in recieve, its like the unit isnt getting the proper amount of voltage, when I unplugged it and went back to battery, suddenly the unit started recieving all the truncked freqs, and the FM reception was better, my question is: is this the wrong adapter? should I actually be using a 600 or even 1200mA adapter? the current model number they sold me is cat# 273-027, any help would be appreciated

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Powering a PRO-92

It sounds like the adapter you got might be defective. One thing you might try is running the scanner from the adapter with NO batteries in the scanner. Battery charging takes some current.

The most critical element of the adapter is that it is 9 VOLTS. Also make sure you have polarity correct (it is reversed from the PRO-93, PRO-95 & PRO-97). If the adapter supplies 300ma, it should work. That means if the adapter is supplying 600ma, or 1 amp it is also supplying enough as those values are above 300ma.

Personally I don't like the RS adapters, or ANY unregulated adapters. I've found that the stuff being sold out there is all over the map. I've found some 9 volt unregulated adapters supplying about 15 volts until they have a substantial load. Supplying too much voltage is the worse you can do. And unregulated adapters will take more load before they are at their rated voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.