Help with systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I live in Arizona but often travel into Southern California for work on a weekly basis. I have a BCD325P2 scanner that I use here but not sure what to program for CA. I generally travel along I-10 and CA60 going to Fontana, Ontario, and LA areas. I only listen to PD & FD but after looking at the database I'm completely confused as to what to program. I tried scanning the CHP but got nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kma371

QRT
Pretty much all of Riverside County is encrypted and most of San Bernardino County is as well so it will be pretty quiet through those areas. Los Angeles County is ok. Just depends which agencies you want to monitor.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I will have to play around on broadcastify tomorrow night when I'm out there and see what's happening. I'd definitely like to monitor LA PD & Fire. Being as it looks like a majority of PD out there is encrypted I will have to stick to Fire that is still in the clear.

kma371

QRT
Shouldn't have any problems with LAPD/LAFD. The only encrypted comms are mostly those of detective units.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I live in Arizona but often travel into Southern California for work on a weekly basis. I have a BCD325P2 scanner that I use here but not sure what to program for CA. I generally travel along I-10 and CA60 going to Fontana, Ontario, and LA areas. I only listen to PD & FD but after looking at the database I'm completely confused as to what to program. I tried scanning the CHP but got nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

well the main reason why you are not able to pickup CHP traveling along the I-10 and the CA60 and so on is because as you well know CHP Low Band is difficult to pickup on an HT handheld scanner on the stock antenna in the car. You would need to have some sort of whip antenna outside the car like a mag-mount used as a good ground plane. When I am traveling in the car I use a base scanner and an outside whip antenna and it works great. You mostly will just hear the dispatchers on the repeater since in the desert communities they use voter repeaters which are input repeaters only until you get onto the 60 freeway coming into Moreno Valley then you will hear dispatcher and field units.

With Voter repeaters it means that the field car units transmit at high power and the voter repeaters grabs the strongest signal and uses the closest repeater and transmits into the repeater which is then microwaved to the dispatch center. If you are within a close range you can hear the field units on the input frequencies and still hear the output frequencies which is the dispatchers. But your biggest problem is the HT scanner radio and the antenna. Once you get that worked out you will do better.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Is Fire in Riverside Cnty on the P25 system or the VHF Freq's? I see both listed in the DB.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
RVC Fire is on VHF. Fire prevention and chief officers have radios capable using the PSEC system. The Emergency Command Center is also set up with fire talkgroups but day to day radio traffic is the VHF system.

I am confused on what type of system Alhambra PD uses. Are they on their own or part of a larger system? I want to get them programmed in my BCD996XT and see UID's. Any help appreciated!

allend

Premium Subscriber
Alhambra uses their own UHF conventional P25 frequency in the clear from the Db. Keep in mind that most of these small departments over time will either get switched to ICI or LA-RICS TRS down the road.

blogan52

Premium Subscriber
RVC Fire is on VHF. Fire prevention and chief officers have radios capable using the PSEC system. The Emergency Command Center is also set up with fire talkgroups but day to day radio traffic is the VHF system.
hope it's ok to ask this here: do you have any idea why I can't seem to hear RivCoFire on my BCT15X? I downloaded the frequencies from RadioReference...nothing....I manually entered them with no tone...nothing.....display says scanning, shows frequencies that it is scanning, but never seems to find anything....my BCT75XLT finds the frequencies quite easily....sitting in the same room, next to each other....

Status
Not open for further replies.