Help with trunking system (PRO-2096)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eesz34

I just acquired an RS PRO-2096 and would like to listen to police/fire/etc. The problem is I'm very new at this. I'm electronics literate, but scanner illiterate. I do have a programming link I sort of made and can use Win96 or Arc96 to communicate with it. I've read a lot about trunking systems and believe this scanner will work for my locale, but I'm clearly missing something. Now for the facts:

The database says that my area's system voice is "APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive" and system type is "Project 25 Phase I". The simulcast frequencies near me are in the low 850 MHz range. As I understand, I only need to enter the control channel frequencies into the scanner. If I tune into the primary control channel in FM mode, I hear a lot of noise with occasional brief periods of silence when the FM indicator changes to DG. The alternate control channels are much quieter and stay in FM. This seems like a good sign I think?

In Arc96, I enter the primary and alternate control channels into "Frequencies", set each Mode to MO, put something into alpha tag and lockout the remaining rows. In Talkgroups for the same bank, I enter some talkgroup IDs, add an alpha tag, and lockout the remaining rows. In Settings for that bank, I make sure that bank is enabled, bank type is Motorola, check Closed Mode, and leave the rest. This gets uploaded to the scanner.

Then what? The best I can figure is I press PROG and select the primary control channel, which displays the frequency and tag I entered, shows MO in the upper right and makes the same noisy audio. But that's all it does. It continually makes this same static diesel engine noise.

If I manually tune to one of the voice frequencies listed in my county's simulcast in FM mode, it will occasionally switch to DG and I hear someone talking. So something is happening, but the trunking feature isn't working, or more likely, I'm not doing it right. What am I missing? How do I get this to monitor the control channel and tune to activity in the talkgroups I've selected?

acecducec

Feed Provider
Your most likely going to need an SDS 100 to pick up trunked digital system. U can program it with ARC536 Basic. It will kinda work with other radios like TRX1 but its gonna drive u crazy getting only half the message it has to do with simulcast distortion. Picking up 2 towers at same time. I have SDS100 working on P25 here https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/25081

eesz34

Your most likely going to need an SDS 100 to pick up trunked digital system. U can program it with ARC536 Basic. It will kinda work with other radios like TRX1 but its gonna drive u crazy getting only half the message it has to do with simulcast distortion. Picking up 2 towers at same time. I have SDS100 working on P25 here https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/25081

Why? The PRO-2096 manual indicates it's compatible with Motorola or APCO-25 trunking systems.

N8IAA

Why? The PRO-2096 manual indicates it's compatible with Motorola or APCO-25 trunking systems.

Since you haven't stated what system, it's harder to assist you with your problem. But. the 96 and 2096, while great on picking up analog Moto systems and conventional P-25, they are horrible on any kind of P-25 trunk systems Sold mine over 10 years ago and picked up a Pro-106.

Larry

N8IAA

Since you haven't stated what system, it's harder to ***ist you with your problem. But. the 96 and 2096, while great on picking up analog Moto systems and conventional P-25, they are horrible on any kind of P-25 trunk systems Sold mine over 10 years ago and picked up a Pro-106.

Larry
I see we now have a politically correct board. Tried to write a$$ist, but it blocked it. Problems with deleting that and inserting help. WTH??
Larry

acecducec

Feed Provider
Well if a piece of paper says it, It Must be True.
In my case picking up p25 system on anything other than sds100 was fruitless. Just sharing my experience. Yours maybe different.

eesz34

Well if a piece of paper says it, It Must be True.
In my case picking up p25 system on anything other than sds100 was fruitless. Just sharing my experience. Yours maybe different.

I would think the user's manual is basically correct. And the radioreference.com wiki says it's compatible with "Trunking System Types and System Voices used in the RadioReference Database" so I a$$umed this was known to work. But again I'm very new at this.

(Like Larry said, WTH it's censoring the word a$$umed??")

Last edited:

eesz34

Since you haven't stated what system, it's harder to ***ist you with your problem. But. the 96 and 2096, while great on picking up analog Moto systems and conventional P-25, they are horrible on any kind of P-25 trunk systems Sold mine over 10 years ago and picked up a Pro-106.

Larry

When you ask what system, are you referring to "Project 25 Phase I" and "APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive" I put in to the original post, or something else?

Maybe it's a lost cause with this scanner. But if it might work, I'd like to at least give it a shot.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
When you ask what system, are you referring to "Project 25 Phase I" and "APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive" I put in to the original post, or something else?

Maybe it's a lost cause with this scanner. But if it might work, I'd like to at least give it a shot.
I have 5 PRO 96 units and all pick up a UHF phase 1 trunking system very well

eesz34

I have 5 PRO 96 units and all pick up a UHF phase 1 trunking system very well

It seems the 96 and 2096 are similar. Dumb question: how does one get the scanner to monitor a programmed trunked system? The user's manual isn't very clear on a lot of this, or maybe I just don't know enough. Do you simply press PROG and go to the active control channel (P000, P001, etc)? This is what I'm confused on. If I go to the primary control channel, I just hear noise that squelch won't even cut off.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
You probably don't understand the scanner yet since your having so much trouble on something so simple. Let the software package of your choice that works with your scanner download the system of your choice for you. Once the system is loaded into the software message it to your liking, then upload the information into the scanner. Take your time and learn how to use your scanner and software package and don't over think it and follow the prompts for what is on the screen in front of you. If you hold on a control channel and hear noise that the squelch doesn't stop it, that's the control information that is what makes your scanner work and is looking for, also enter all the frequencies for the system or your scanner may not work properly.

The system that people are askingyou about is like this. "Dauphin County Public Safety System" in Harrisburg pa. That way people can help you with the information that you are trying to figure out and understand.

As you learn how to program the system it will all make sense with time.

Also another thing download the manuals for the scanner and programming software and use them as you play, there is a lot of useful information in them.

eesz34

You probably don't understand the scanner yet since your having so much trouble on something so simple. Let the software package of your choice that works with your scanner download the system of your choice for you. Once the system is loaded into the software message it to your liking, then upload the information into the scanner. Take your time and learn how to use your scanner and software package and don't over think it and follow the prompts for what is on the screen in front of you. If you hold on a control channel and hear noise that the squelch doesn't stop it, that's the control information that is what makes your scanner work and is looking for, also enter all the frequencies for the system or your scanner may not work properly.

The system that people are askingyou about is like this. "Dauphin County Public Safety System" in Harrisburg pa. That way people can help you with the information that you are trying to figure out and understand.

As you learn how to program the system it will all make sense with time.

Also another thing download the manuals for the scanner and programming software and use them as you play, there is a lot of useful information in them.

You're right, there is a lot I don't understand. I've looked through the 2096 manual and what documentation there is for ARC96 and WIN96, and the wiki on radioreference. From what I've read in the manual, the wiki, and some forum posts, it appears this scanner should work with the trunking system I want to monitor. I think I understand how a trunking system works well enough to get started.

The wall I keep running into is the scanner never picks up any of the talkgroups I have configured. I figured the control channel with noise that can't be squelched is a good sign as it happens only on the primary CC, but then what? Putting the scanner on that channel simply produces this constant noise and nothing else. I'm not sure what state the scanner has to be in to monitor the control channel and act on it; surely the way I'm doing it is incorrect. I've looked through the manual for clues, searched the Net, and tried scanning as that seemed like a possibility. But it still finds nothing, it never stops on a control channel.

Right now I have only the control channel frequencies entered as this is all the scanner requires.

I tried having WIN96 or ARC96 download everything for me, but I'm not a premium subscriber so this doesn't work. If this scanner won't work with this trunking system here, I'll sell it and not continue, otherwise I may get a subscription if this works out.

I like trying to figure things out on my own, but I'm just at that point where the answer doesn't seem to be printed in a place I can find it.

For what it's worth, here's the system I'm trying to get to work:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=8092

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
The system i looked at has several encrypted talk groups for the police and a few others so the bad news is there is no scanner on the market that can decode the encrypted communications so for get about them. Encrypted communications sound like someone talking under water. Make sure all the frequencies are programmed into the scanner because control channels change from time to time. There is no special mode to get the scanner to scan the system, just upload the information and press scan. Make sure the scanner will handle the frequencies for the system in question with the users manual for the scanner.

Get a good software package like proscan and use it to program the scanner and post a copy of the file so others can look at it and maybe help you out.

The more information you provide the better your chances are with getting help.

eesz34

The system i looked at has several encrypted talk groups for the police and a few others so the bad news is there is no scanner on the market that can decode the encrypted communications so for get about them. Encrypted communications sound like someone talking under water. Make sure all the frequencies are programmed into the scanner because control channels change from time to time. There is no special mode to get the scanner to scan the system, just upload the information and press scan. Make sure the scanner will handle the frequencies for the system in question with the users manual for the scanner.

Get a good software package like proscan and use it to program the scanner and post a copy of the file so others can look at it and maybe help you out.

The more information you provide the better your chances are with getting help.

I did see the encrypted talkgroups and am not trying to listen to those.

I used ARC96 so I'll attach that file. I'm not sure if the rebanding is correct, but I followed suggestions in the wiki.

Ugghh, it doesn't like any file extension I give it. I uploaded it to Uploadfiles.io - file.bin

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot of bad information on this website as well which might be hard for some to believe.

Did you try the system without a rebranding table, it may not be needed???

Try copy and paste and paste your files information like your going to reply to a post.

I cant open your file and dont use ARC96

eesz34

There is a lot of bad information on this website as well which might be hard for some to believe.

Try copy and paste and paste your files information like your going to reply to a post.

I did try Proscan since you use that, but it doesn't support this scanner, apparently. Let's try this. I took relevant screenshots, so that's universally useful. Exporting it as a CSV, which is an option, doesn't really convey the information as well. Here's the pictures:

Interestingly, as I was sitting here I'm fairly sure I saw one of the talkgroup tags come up on the LCD (the first listed), but the audio was just noise and it wasn't there long enough to really see what was going on. That talkgroup is not encrypted according to the database, and that's the first I've seen anything like this.

About the rebanding, I only tried that today. It didn't work previous to this, either.

eesz34

Hey something is working! I decided to make the bank containing trunking control channels open instead of closed, and now it's picking up all kinds of transmissions! Of course it's all TGs I don't have programmed, but I might as well put as many known in as I can.

This is cool. But I wonder if many of the TGs I entered on the scanner from the database are no longer active, so that's why it seemed to not work.

mule1075

Feed Provider
[QUOTE="eesz34] But I wonder if many of the TGs I entered on the scanner from the database are no longer active, so that's why it seemed to not work.[/QUOTE]

Doubtful that is the case. But since we have no idea what system you are talking about there is no way to know.

eesz34

[QUOTE="eesz34] But I wonder if many of the TGs I entered on the scanner from the database are no longer active, so that's why it seemed to not work.

Doubtful that is the case.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what else it would be. I'm getting nearly constant activity now, just none on the 10 or so TGs entered.

Status
Not open for further replies.