Help with trunking system (PRO-2096)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
I may be able to open a csv file with another software package so if you can email it to me i will see what i can do with it.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
If you are getting activity then you are receiving the system. However all the talk groups are not constantly active and may only be heard once in a while. Why not give the scanner a chance and see what happens in a few days after you listen to it for more than a few minutes expecting to hear something that may not happen.

I have a scanner with only one system in it that goes 24 hours a day nonstop, sometimes its busy and sometimes its doesnt say anything for days on end.

eesz34

I edited my post above. Since we have no idea what system you are talking about there is no way to know if that is case.

I posted a link to that information further up. I really see no reason why I wouldn't get these other TGs since they are part of the same system, and aren't encrypted.

eesz34

If you are getting activity then you are receiving the system. However all the talk groups are not constantly active and may only be heard once in a while. Why not give the scanner a chance and see what happens in a few days after you listen to it for more than a few minutes expecting to hear something that may not happen.

I have a scanner with only one system in it that goes 24 hours a day nonstop, sometimes its busy and sometimes its doesnt say anything for days on end.

Sounds good to me. Now that it's picking up something, I know it works and I know what to expect. I can work with this. Thanks for your help!

N8IAA

Sounds good to me. Now that it's picking up something, I know it works and I know what to expect. I can work with this. Thanks for your help!

Put in all of the frequencies for your county. Not just the red and blue ones. Again, the 96 and 2096 are horrible on simulcast systems. Your county being one. If you are trying to put in statewide TG's, it might not work due to lack of affiliation.

Larry

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
He posted a link to the ARMER system in post #12.

Like Larry said it might be an affiliation issue. the TGs you programmed may not be affiliating with the site you are monitoring.

You are probably experiencing simulcast distortion as well.

eesz34

Put in all of the frequencies for your county. Not just the red and blue ones. Again, the 96 and 2096 are horrible on simulcast systems. Your county being one. If you are trying to put in statewide TG's, it might not work due to lack of affiliation.

Larry

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what does also entering the VCs do? Do they also get set to MOT mode? Right now I only have the control channels entered and it's picking up a lot of conversations.

The TGs I initially had programmed weren't statewide, but rather city police groups. I have not yet heard any transmissions from them (they are not encrypted), but get a few transmissions from other PDs.

eesz34

He posted a link to the ARMER system in post #12.

Like Larry said it might be an affiliation issue. the TGs you programmed may not be affiliating with the site you are monitoring.

You are probably experiencing simulcast distortion as well.

I thought about monitoring another site, which I will still try. But the only TGs I originally entered should be using the site I'm monitoring since it's a PD in this county. Unless that's not how it works.

N8IAA

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what does also entering the VCs do?

They are not necessarily voice channels. Sometimes, the system will change out the CC's and alternate CC's, and use other frequencies. Not always, just sometimes.

Since it seems you are fairly new to scanning, try to read as much as much as you can. Another suggestion would be to ask the admins to move your post to the MN state forum. Just click on report. It is on the bottom left corner of one of your posts. You might get more help from those in your state.

HTH,
Larry

pdewees

Premium Subscriber
OK worked at Radio Shack for over 8 years and the pro96/2096 same scanner one is handheld and the other is base/mobile.
Don Star
win96-programing software
win96com allows you to look at the stuff the radio see's great for understanding sites and affiliations.
running two radios one scanning and one on 96com allows you to identify talkgroups and agencys
like to help further if I can. Peter

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
I don't agree that the PRO-2096 performs horribly on P25 trunked systems. I've used mine for years on a large statewide P25 Phase I TRS system with DSP 1.2 and it works very well with only the occasional digital motorboating. Results will vary of course.

In some instances the PRO-2096 decodes P25 better than my GRE PSR-600 and Whistler TRX-2. The latter have trouble even recovering the audio at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.