Henderson County FD encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

Since 04/27/18 I have been building and monitoring the following NXDN Nextedge systems;

Mills River F.D. WQTT568
S001 Mills River 150.8825 152.2625 153.4475 153.5225 154.5550 I do not receive S002 Hendersonville.

Edneyville F.D. WQTU268
S001 Gerton 150.8525 150.9425 150.9725 153.2375 153.4325 I do not receive S002 Edneyville

Valley Hill F.D. WQTV579
S001 Zirconia I do not receive S002 Crab Creek 150.9575 153.1625 153.2075 153.2225 153.2825 153.3275 153.5075 153.5975
These sites I receive are encrypted. I run the systems on my BCD 536, trunked, and on my TRX 2 at the same time. The results are encryption. Can someone please take the time to run these and verify this? I would like it to be not just me calling out the encryption.

AlphaFive

Hendersonville

Thanks much, I will try to work on getting this submitted..
Side note, two night ago WLOS News ran a story regarding the recent election for Sheriff. The first citizen on the street interview they conducted stated that his reason for voting the way he did was because of the current encryption being run. It was really odd to hear someone actually say that is the reason for their vote. WLOS continued with the story, listing encryption as an election issue, haaaaaaaaa.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Hendersonville Fire Encrypted

Sounds like they are trying to hide something from the citizens they protect.

What really gets me the Kenwood NXDN dealer is getting very rich in the Western part of the state.

Because he is the only private citizen that has the capability to listen to what is happening on the system

and the encryption.

Selling radios that are not interoperability capable. What a waste of tax payer money for something that can't talk to adjacent counties and other

agencies.

I thought the whole idea was for interoperability.

How do they communicate with the State Highway Patrol?

I guess they are like the Wayne County incident the trooper has a Viper Radio in one hand and a NXDN radio in the other hand. WHAT A JOKE

Just like I said there needs to legislation drawn up to stop encryption of dispatch channels.

Another thing that blows my mind if Henderson County is going to be using to sub-standard NXDN system

then why do they have so many talkgroups on the Viper System.

Give them time and the same thing will happen to them like it did in Brunswick Co. their old LTR system

failed and decided to switch to Viper and haven't had any problems since.

NXDN should not be allowed for public safety it should be used for business use only.

David

Last edited:

AlphaFive

Henderson

The person that came up short in the election, supported the encryption.. The person that won, stated that he supports transparency. That's all this old chimp knows, not much else. Take care everybody, y'all come back now, ya hear.

NYRHKY94

A fire department going full ENC.....that's almost laughable. What possible valid reason could be offered by the policy makers who made that decision? Transparency in "elected" government...NOT in Henderson.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
A fire department going full ENC.....that's almost laughable. What possible valid reason could be offered by the policy makers who made that decision? Transparency in "elected" government...NOT in Henderson.

Unfortunately, its a dangerous mindset that is becoming rather widespread. Not just in NC, but big time in LA, DC, AR, FL and other places. Encryption in Fire Service is only IMHO needed once in like 100 instances. Other than say Arson Investigation that is.

NYRHKY94

Well said MILF! After all we are not dealing with the whole officer safety mantra in this case. Interestingly enough a large portion of the "official" feeds on RR are Fire Departments, who obviously have no issue at all being transparent with the good work they do in those fortunate communities.

AlphaFive

Henderson

I have submitted what I could. I was lacking some L.C.N.'s, I applied what I had gathered. Also, could not receive both sites on the systems, no L.C.N.'s for those. Enjoy.

AlphaFive

Nextedge question

I am looking at some posts for NXDN entries. These F.D. systems are NXDN NEXTEDGE. I had believed that NEXTEDGE was what is referred to as NXDN (C). I submitted these as NXDN (C). Now I am wondering if NXDN (C) is IDAS. Geez,,, who knows whether NXDN NEXTEDGE is actually (C), or not? Need some help on this. Thank you

I am seeing that (c) or (d) is not the important thing, apparently that is simply a reference to the type of trunking process. I should have simply labeled the systems as NEXTEDGE. That would have been the right thing.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I am looking at some posts for NXDN entries. These F.D. systems are NXDN NEXTEDGE. I had believed that NEXTEDGE was what is referred to as NXDN (C). I submitted these as NXDN (C). Now I am wondering if NXDN (C) is IDAS. Geez,,, who knows whether NXDN NEXTEDGE is actually (C), or not? Need some help on this. Thank you

I am seeing that (c) or (d) is not the important thing, apparently that is simply a reference to the type of trunking process. I should have simply labeled the systems as NEXTEDGE. That would have been the right thing.

NEXEDGE(No T) is Kenwoods trade name for NXDN. IDAS is Icoms trade name for NXDN.

Same idea as Motorola calling DMR MotoTRBO.

Type C(Kenwood implementation of NXDN trunking) is similar to Motorola Type 2, EDACS, and P25, in that each site has a continuous control channel. It supports single and multi site trunking.

Type D(Icoms implementation of NXDN trunking) is more like LTR in that it does not have a continuous control channel. It also supports single and multi site trunking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Sounds like they are trying to hide something from the citizens they protect.

Or they don’t want their comms streamed online.

What really gets me the Kenwood NXDN dealer is getting very rich in the Western part of the state.

Because he is the only private citizen that has the capability to listen to what is happening on the system

and the encryption.

Lol. You are mad because he is making money selling what his clients want to buy(at significant cost savings over P25). Sounds like the users are making good use of their tax dollars not drinking the P25 koolaid.

Selling radios that are not interoperability capable. What a waste of tax payer money for something that can't talk to adjacent counties and other agencies.

EVERY single NXDN radio sold also does analogue. Easy to interoperate with others on the same band. And easy, and cheap to implement analogue repeaters in different bands linked together.

I guess they are like the Wayne County incident the trooper has a Viper Radio in one hand and a NXDN radio in the other hand. WHAT A JOKE

In your mind.

Another thing that blows my mind if Henderson County is going to be using to sub-standard NXDN system then why do they have so many talkgroups on the Viper System?

Kenwood NXDN is a great platform. Robust, good audio when set up properly and at a fraction of the price of P25.

NXDN should not be allowed for public safety it should be used for business use only.

David

Why should it only be business? Because you don’t like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kg4uad

David

I spoke with a highway patrolman assigned to Henderson county not long ago who told me that they no longer have vhf radios to communicate with Henderson county and that any communication if needed will be passed from the highway patrol dispatch in newton NC to Henderson county via phone or cjin terminal. If there is an emergency event that requires mutual aid this method of communication is ridiculously slow and because a third party is involved the opportunity for important details to be missed or confused is greatly increased. This issue goes well beyond just keeping casual scanner listeners in the dark, all the surrounding agencies are also in the dark as well. Interoperability? henderson county has made deevolutionary strides backward with its new digital system for both the taxpayers that purchased the system as well as for surrounding agencies inability to monitor and communicate directly with public safety agencies in Henderson.

The end result: longer response times for emergencies that border or cross county or state lines. Creates an additional opportunity for mission critical information to not get passed to the right responding officers during events that directly impact the safety of persons or property.

We all understand good and well the impact of streaming public safety radio traffic and i agree that tactical and sensitive operations have no place on a web stream however, I personally am offended that a sheriffs department that has time and time again touted "transparency" has taken the hard earned money of its taxpayers and fully encrypted its system. I also agree with the previous poster that encryption of Fire/Rescue channels is ridiculous and there is no justification for it. Fire departments regularly answer calls out of county and rely heavily on mutual aid due to limited resources. Once again, extended response times and reduced Quality of Service. How would you feel if it was your house was on fire and the responding mutual aid departments (not familiar with your neighborhood) were 10-20 mins late in arriving because they had to play patty cake between dispatchers and computer terminals to get there? Seconds Count.

I hope theres a change of heart with our new Sheriff who's power is given by the people who voted for him and paid for a over 12 million dollar system that they cant listen too.

Status
Not open for further replies.